Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-05-2011, 09:08 PM

Dogs dream

Do you think they know the difference between a dream and reality?

Or do they think that (whatever they were dreaming about) just happened?

Wonder what they think
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
That's an interesting question.

My blue & white border collie was asleep on the sofa one day then all of a sudden still in his sleep he sat up and started howling (which he never does when he's a wake)

He actually woke himself up doing it and the shock and confusion on his face was a picture! So for that reason, i really don't think he knew what was going on

Either way i could spend all day watching them dream, especially when they look like they are running

My black and white collie winces really loud
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Interesting thought! I always waken ours if the dream appears disturbing.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I have often wondered about this myself. When watching a dog in a full blown dream, with paws twitching like crazy and excited squeaks, or deep growls, you have to imagine that they are dreaming of chasing prey, or doing something exciting or dangerous.

Then their eyes open, and the third eyelid slowly retracts. They look around briefly, sigh, and go back to sleep again after a stretch.

Would they so readily accept the end of the chase if they thought that the dream was real? I don't think so - certainly my dogs have never switched off a real chase in a matter of seconds. However, I don't think that this means that they necessarily know the difference between a dream and reality.........it may just be that on waking the dream disappears from their memory in an instant. After all, we don't remember all our dreams either.

I am certain that if our JRT remembered his exciting dreams on waking, or thought that they were real, he would be hyper for a good hour afterwards!!!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm the same - let wondering wha they dream about!! Kiara really muffs and puffs in hers, her feet start twitching it can go on for quite a while and it always makes me wonder and laugh!!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Hard evidence - their dreams are the same type as ours,some more real than others.

www.break.com/joshs-sleepwalking-dog.html