Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Nasty nasty people!!! Bit of a rant!

Took Ruby and D out to the park yesterday, was having a lovely time, D (off lead) spots a schnauzer (sp?) (on lead)with a middle aged couple, he trots up to say hello and the man, who was holding the lead literally yanked the dog in the air and had him dangling from the lead to get him away from D, well this only made D more determined to have a sniff so now this poor dog is being swung left and right still in the air, D thinking "what a great game" then the woman, who is carrying a plastic bag with something in it, swings the bag at D hitting him in his face

Luckily for her D is as aggresive as a plank of wood, OH on the other hand, at that moment, lost it and proceeded to tell them what he'd like to do to them

This is one of the main reasons we decided to get another dog, as people WILL judge Diesel on how he looks and will not allow him to interact with their dogs for fear of a fight. We felt sad for him that he's not permitted to play so got him a buddy of his own, who he loves but he still likes to say hello to other dogs, its just the way he is, FRIENDLY!!

Things were made better though by a guy with his young kids, asking questions and if they could stroke them as he was thinking of getting one

Another comment we heard whilst walking was, "it's unusual to see a boxer without it's tail docked"

Another was, "are you allowed to have those dogs off lead?"

AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 09:54 AM
As I've worked in a Shar Pei kennel I can say that by and by Shar Pei's are not aggressive, the German Shepherds they had though were nasty, they usually beat the Shar Pei up I wouldn't have trusted them with anything!
It goes to show that in general people do not have a clue about dogs and to swing your dog around on it's lead is hardly going to make things OK!
Poor dog!
Becky
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 10:04 AM
What is it with people ! Judging a dog by its looks! I think Shar pei's look like big teddy bears.....
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh poor you - it always puts a damper on the day when something like that happens. I know - I have a very friendly Ridgeback. You should see some peoples faces as she trots up to say hello!!

I think add to the nasty, nasty - small minded too.
I bet their dog has never been off its lead (noose) - poor dog probably would have loved to have had a play with the gorgeous Deisel.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys, Diesel has always been a friendly chap, i appreciate some people may not know the breed or know it as a fighting dog but they werent used for fighting for very long because they were rubbish

They are very stubborn and hard to train (dont i know it)and would only fight if mistreated or drugged!!

Yes, D will stand his ground but fighting is never his intention when approaching another dog and i wouldnt want him that way!

He had a play with a Ridgeback puppy that day too, it was bigger than him, all legs
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 12:52 PM
I just have to say that regardless of ANY breed or how it looks, some dogs just don't like strange dogs approaching without invitation.

My dogs are 'friendly' and like other dogs, however, when strange dog approaches off lead, they just don't like it.

Many dogs don't like it and it's often unfiar for people to assume that because their dog is 'friendly' that they can just wander up to any old dog and expect it to be OK !

In my opinion it's bad manners. Dogs should be introduced properly or that's where problems start.

Did it occur to you that this man yanked his dog up on a lead because his dog may be fearful of other dogs ???

Whether or not he reacted correctly is irrelevant, if his dog was fearful he did whatever he could do on the spur of the moment.

I hate it when people allow thier dogs to come bounding up to me and mine, and then shout "it's ok he's freindly"

I DON'T CARE..................MY dogs don't like it !!!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I just have to say that regardless of ANY breed or how it looks, some dogs just don't like strange dogs approaching without invitation.

My dogs are 'friendly' and like other dogs, however, when strange dog approaches off lead, they just don't like it.

Many dogs don't like it and it's often unfiar for people to assume that because their dog is 'friendly' that they can just wander up to any old dog and expect it to be OK !

In my opinion it's bad manners. Dogs should be introduced properly or that's where problems start.

Did it occur to you that this man yanked his dog up on a lead because his dog may be fearful of other dogs ???

Whether or not he reacted correctly is irrelevant, if his dog was fearful he did whatever he could do on the spur of the moment.

I hate it when people allow thier dogs to come bounding up to me and mine, and then shout "it's ok he's freindly"

I DON'T CARE..................MY dogs don't like it !!!
Have to agree with you on this post, why can't people put their dogs on a lead when there is another dog around not all people or dogs like to have another dog coming up to them. It would be a different story if your dog had been bitten by the other dog. It really annoys me when people assume that because their dog is dog friendly then all other dogs are too. Mine does not like other dogs running up to him, I am working on it but everytime this happens its another step backwards for him. I know my dog because of his size could do some damage to another dog. So why don't other owners check first if it is ok before a fight ensues.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 01:06 PM
If their dog was aggresive then they only had to say, there was no need to swing the dog around his head and Diesel did not "BOUND" up to it, he trotted over for a sniff tail wagging. They only had to ask us to call him away, not strangle their own dog and wallop ours in the face!!!! That was NOT responsible behaviour! I suppose if Diesel had've bitten the woman that HIT him, that would've been our fault too??!!!

The reason the other dog was on a lead was because they were approching the car park to leave, i couldnt tell whether the other dog was aggressive or fearful due to it having trouble breathing!!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
If their dog was aggresive then they only had to say, there was no need to swing the dog around his head and Diesel did not "BOUND" up to it, he trotted over for a sniff tail wagging. They only had to ask us to call him away, not strangle their own dog and wallop ours in the face!!!! That was NOT responsible behaviour! I suppose if Diesel had've bitten the woman that HIT him, that would've been our fault too??!!!
Yes it would have because YOUR dog approached UNinvited !!!! Can't you understand that ?

YOUR behaviour was NOT responsible by allowing your dog free access to approach other dogs without ASKING the other people first.

Why should it always be down to people like me to shout out "call your dog away please"

It should be down to you to ASK if it's ok if your dog approaches, afterall their dog is on a lead and in control, yours isnt' !!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2007, 01:12 PM
If Diesel wants to play with a schnauzer come over to West London and Pepper will give him a run for his money! She'll play with any dog, big or small! She seems to particularly like boxers and Weimeraners (sp?) because they are so bouncy but she really isn't fussy.

But I do have to say I see Malady's point, Pepper has no doggy manners (we're working on it) and she will run up to any dogs she sees, given half a chance, and some just don't like it and really shouldn't have to put up with it. I always make her wait to see if the other dog approaches her before I release her to play, maybe you could try that so the silly owners don't get the chance to ruin their dogs?

J
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »