Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
That is one of the reasons I am taking so long to get through it I know it is going to be sad at the end as Marley reaches old age and having Golden Oldie of my own I am noytlooking forward to the last few chapters, as I cry very easily at things at the best of times.
me too, with doggy stuff though...i'm normally alright with people things
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 02:23 PM
The bit i was reading last night was starting to get sad

You know just after the sleigh ride in the snow and him being 9 years old, they start talking about his health. I wont say what but eveyone who has read it will know what im talking about. I dont want to spoil it for anybody
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

29-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
me too, with doggy stuff though...i'm normally alright with people things

Ditto Eunice
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have to admit I'm about three quarters of the way through it so far and I'm finding it tough going. I hate to say it but I'm a bit bored....
Yeah do have to admit I was unimpressed and wondered why he had written the book as there was nothing out of the ordinary about his life with the dog. I personally thought the end whilst sad was the best part of the book, it had something that had been missing throughout for me.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Yeah do have to admit I was unimpressed and wondered why he had written the book as there was nothing out of the ordinary about his life with the dog. I personally thought the end whilst sad was the best part of the book, it had something that had been missing throughout for me.
That's it...more a story of the author's life...less the dogs I thought.The dog is sort of added on and nothing very exciting or interesting happens...it's a bit dull really. It's an easy read...but i feel like I'm wading through treacle a bit...

I know the end will be sad (I've had a quick nose!!!!) :smt002
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I'm trying not to say too much as you are still reading it, but the writing seems to improve at the end. It's a sad fact that dogs die much sooner than we would like them to and it is always sad, but I do think it was more readable at the end even with a tear in your eye. The book just left wondering why he wrote it apart from the fact that he is a writer by trade.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 03:09 PM
i know this is not about the story, but i liked all the photos he put on the inside of the book cover of Marley, i thought it was a nice touch.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I think perhaps the fact that it was just an ordinary dog, no superdog heroics etc.. is what he hoped would make it appeal to other dog owners. Just the way a normal dog can become so much part of your life. In almost every chapter there were things I could relate to and I kinda liked that.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
I think perhaps the fact that it was just an ordinary dog, no superdog heroics etc.. is what he hoped would make it appeal to other dog owners. Just the way a normal dog can become so much part of your life. In almost every chapter there were things I could relate to and I kinda liked that.
I agree I think too that thats all it was supposed to be an everyday story of a man and his dog, and as you say how much a part of their family he became.

Did you have a tear in your eye at the end Ian?
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I agree I think too that thats all it was supposed to be an everyday story of a man and his dog, and as you say how much a part of their family he became.

Did you have a tear in your eye at the end Ian?
Nope... I only cry when chopping onions
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »