View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Jenny, the site I found said it gets covered in tiny white flowers in the spring and is an old fashioned shrub. This one has been here for a long time. It also has the arching "fountain like" branches that the internet site said.

Although I shall look up the other suggestions and see which image is closest
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Well it sounds like that is what it is then
Good old Dogsey strikes again.
It is very pretty. Just been out to look at my Spirea, a pink one and there are no signs of flowers yet. That could be the difference between the two types.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Checked the dipelta mom, and the leaves are too prominent compared to this shrub - and the escallonia has too broad a glossy leaf to be this shrub either.
Because of the "fondly remembered grandparent's favourite" (this garden was started 50 years ago) and the images I found, I do think its Christine's Bridal Wreath.
I can see when its fully out, it will be stunning!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that no matter what your query Dogsey comes up with answer

I've taken a, not very good pic of mine

It's a early flowering shrub, infact apart form spring bulbs and Primulas it's the first thing to flower in my garden, and you can fully understand why it's called Bridal Wreath

Sorry about the poor pic

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
That is def a plant called "Bridal Wreath Spirea " I have one in the front garden.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Oh meant to say if it needs triming back like other shrubs that bloom in early spring, this one should be pruned (if necessary) right after blooming. As it flowers on "old wood."

An older plant can be rejuvenated by cutting all the stems to the ground after it has bloomed....but takes a time to regrow.
Its easy to propogate too cut off 4-8 in off the end of a young, fast growing stem tip, and insert it in a pot with damp sand or a loose potting mix. (I use clear plastic cups, like you get in £ shops this is so I can see the roots developing.)
No need for rooting hormone.
However until the roots are formed, you must keep the leaves from drying out since the plant has no way to bring in water. To keep the leaves from drying, you can mist the leaves for about 10 seconds every day or so keep an eye on it, out until it roots( hence the clear cup.

The roots should start growing in a week, and in a month or so you can pot up the little cutting in regular potting mix for another couple months before setting out in the garden. It works well.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:25 PM
That's a lovely photo Christine

and thanks, Kazz for the info on pruning and propogating. That is very, very handy to know

I shall be making cuttings all over the show
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
No problem they are easy to do.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
It could be a Philadelphus or Mock Orange. Does it have a nice smell?
Thats what I was going to say.....except about the smell as sometimes they smell like old bubbly to me ...you know that yucky pink bubble gum?? But some do smell nice too.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2