View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 05:39 PM
But owning a pitbull in england is illegal so why would these people be taking them to the vets and walking them?? How can they be good people if they are breaking the law?

Your right it wont stop the neglect but it should in theory stop pitbull attacks as if they arnt bred and sold then there shouldnt be any around to attack, that in turn would focus the laws attention on the fact that all dog breeds can attack at that in turn should focus the law on stoping the dogs that do attack, not the breed but the particuler dog. If the police werent so busy running around and seizing illegal dogs then they could be spending the time catching the people that do have dangerous dogs and stopping said people

I also think that people should brush up on their dog breeds as lately where i live there have been alot of reports off pitbull attacks and on closer inspection the dogs were no pitbulls. This is just more bad press for the breed.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
But owning a pitbull in england is illegal so why would these people be taking them to the vets and walking them?? How can they be good people if they are breaking the law?
Well, I'm talking in general and of when the breed ban first went into place. In other parts of the world they're not banned and some places are looking to do it. So while they were fine and not breaking the law one day, suddenly they're forced to either give up their dog to have it killed, find a new home for it quickly, or move.

Meanwhile bad owners are just keeping them hidden anyway.

You also have the additional issue, as you noted, of people mistaking dogs for pit bulls. There are plenty of lab/boxer mixes that people say are "pit bulls." Dogs of mixes that might or might not have pit bull in them are being confiscated. The rescue says "This is a lab/boxer mix" but then the authorities see it, two years later, and take the dog away to kill it. How fair is that? How STUPID is that when the dog has done nothing?

Your right it wont stop the neglect but it should in theory stop pitbull attacks as if they arnt bred and sold then there shouldnt be any around to attack,
It shouldn't but it doesn't. Criminals will get whatever dog breed they want, whether or not its banned and THOSE people are the ones likely to have dogs that attack, therefore no one will see instances of good pit bulls, only the bad. That's a major backfire.

that in turn would focus the laws attention on the fact that all dog breeds can attack at that in turn should focus the law on stoping the dogs that do attack, not the breed but the particuler dog.
Except politicians and people aren't that smart. Instead they'll then say "OMG Dobermans are BAD DOGS and we need to ban them too! Look how many Doberman attacks there are now!!" I WISH people would be smart enough to look at the fact that banning pit bulls hasn't reduced the number of attacks. But even when that's pointed out time and time again (e.g. like it is for Denver, Colorado and Ontario, Canada), they turn a blind eye to it and ignore those facts.

If the police werent so busy running around and seizing illegal dogs then they could be spending the time catching the people that do have dangerous dogs and stopping said people
Unfortunately you don't often know a dog is dangerous until something happens. So I imagine it must be hard for police to pinpoint that.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Not because the breed in its self is particulary more dangerous than other breeds but because of the build of the breed. I read an interesting article one that said because of the fighting history in the breed the pit bull wont always automatically start fights but they wont back down from a fight that is presented to them.
because of the build of the breed?????
there are more powerful legal breeds than that of a pit bull , that has been scientifically proven, i`ve never understood what all the fuss was about and why these breeds we`re banned in a silly knee jerk reaction especially when it`s been proven that there are breeds that are perfectly legal ,capable of doing much , much more damage.
there are other breeds that won`t necessarily start a fight , but they will finish one , so lets ban mastiffs , american bulldogs , bullmastiffs , bull terriers , akita`s , rottweilers , staffies , boxers etc.

If pitbulls were bred and sold to responsible owners then i agree there wouldnt be a problem. The fact is there are too many people out there that would buy the breed as a status symbol and affectivly the dog will suffer for it.

Like i stated but didnt elaborate on my main concern of the breed is the build of the breed.
here we go again , the build of the breed,,,what about other breeds ? lets ban them all that pose a threat.
any breed of dog can cause damage , jack russells for instance have been reported in the press for killing children http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homepage/x808409177 as well as other small breeds have been reported ,so i really don`t see the logical side of you`re argument.

here we go , video for you that prove bite power , rottweiler has the highest bite force out of the three dogs that we`re tested.

pitbulls are no more dangerous than any other breed of dog , it`s the idiot at the other end of the lead
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Pitbulls are not dangerous, People are. my cousin in ireland has a pit and i've personally rolled around on rug with him with my hand in his mouth. dangerous dog? your having a laugh. pit bulls have an aggressive streak in their d.n.a but so do alot of dogs. it only gets brought out by bad ownership.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by jade the sbt View Post
Pitbulls are not dangerous, People are. my cousin in ireland has a pit and i've personally rolled around on rug with him with my hand in his mouth. dangerous dog? your having a laugh. pit bulls have an aggressive streak in their d.n.a but so do alot of dogs. it only gets brought out by bad ownership.
I totally agree with this comment. all dogs have the potentional to be dangerous if brought up wrongly. pits are no different to any other dog IMO.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
I totally agree with this comment. all dogs have the potentional to be dangerous if brought up wrongly. pits are no different to any other dog IMO.
Yes, they are they are banned!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That doesn't make them different from other dogs. It just means politicians and people are stupid because they BELIEVE they're different than other dogs. As far as anatomy and structure and intelligence and thought processes, etc. pit bulls are the same as any other dog.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:30 PM
I personally think banning the breed has done far more harm than good. it has taken the breed underground and there is no control over who or what is being bred.

I dont think any BREED should be banned.

The chances of anyone currently owning a purebred american pit bull terrier in the UK I would say are slim to none. And thats the problem. people are buying "plastic" pits that are any number of breeds combined together to look like a pit - sacrificing temperament just to get the looks - and generally the "wrong" type of people are after these dogs because they LOOK tough and intimidating and they think its cool to push the dog to be aggressive and act in an aggressive way. There are very dangerous owners behind these dogs.

However, if american pit bull terriers were legalised in the UK again, I would certainly have one, because of the temperament that well bred and well cared for dogs show. If you look at the dogs in countries where they are not banned, where there are people passionate about the breed, breeding to better, you see the real pittie character of the family dog.

yes they are strong and powerful dogs, and combining that with a terrier nature....in the wrong hands...can be trouble. But in the right hands, they are just the same as any other animal and very similar to your staffy in loving and family centered nature. Pitties have not been bred to be human aggressive, they may have DA tendencies and issues with small furries, but an APBT should not show signs of HA as part of their breed makeup.

Any dog has the capability of being dangerous. I cant count on my hands the amount of toy and small dogs that I have met that clearly have issues - okay no you arent as likely to end up in hospital after a bite from one of these dogs, but still - aggressive is aggressive. Just because they are small doesnt mean they are any less capable of being aggressive but they are less likely to end up in the hands of an idiot yob. Better control of owners and dog ownership and breeding is the way forward. Not banning an entire breed. I certainly will give any dog a chance - whether it be a yorkie or a GSD - and one bad experience with one breed will not make me write off the rest of them. I put it down to that owner.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
That proves more about politicians than it dog pitbulls
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post