View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Lavender all over the place including on the dog. Cotton wool in dogs ears. Heavy metal music loud in every room. Get in a hot bath and shreik my head off to the music.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Someone on this site suggested 'Homeo Pet' Anxiety TFLN. If you search on-line you'll find it. It has excellent reviews! And is designed to stop anxiety for dogs.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I've today ordered some Zylkene for both dogs, I'm hoping it'll help.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm very lucky I have only ever had one dog who was affected by fireworks.
I used to go to bed with her, snuggle down, cuddling her tight and watch TV. She would shake but eventually calm down.
Pepsi just hurrumphs very loudly in disgust at anything disturbing her sleep!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 12:36 AM
My GSD never did get used to them. She used to run round the house like a demented banshee, galloping over the furniture and all the places she wasn't usually allowed until it stopped. Couldn't calm her down at all.

CKCS hated them to begin with (you get a lot of firework displays in the West Country) but she did get used to them after a while and, by the time I moved to Cyprus, wasn't really bothered - just as well as they are fireworks and firecracker (industrial strength) crazy in Cyp.

Bella isn't too bad but always just runs under the middle of my big bed and stays there - won't let me comfort her. Won't come out until it's all stopped.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Kyiro and Lily will be going back to the rescue kennels for 10 days next Friday so as hopefully to miss the worst of the fireworks as Kyiro is absolutly petrified. One bang will render him a drooling hyperventilating mess and it takes him 2 hrs to get over one little bang.
I have had him on Zylkene and it done nothing for him at all and I now have him on these drops reccommended by someone on here, but last night there were a few bangs in the distance and he was immeadietly in a terrible state, so they don't work for him either.
We have tried so many things the past few years from Dap diffuser, skullcap and valerian etc etc and nothing has helped him at all which is why we book him in for boarding at the kennels.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Kyiro and Lily will be going back to the rescue kennels for 10 days next Friday so as hopefully to miss the worst of the fireworks as Kyiro is absolutly petrified. One bang will render him a drooling hyperventilating mess and it takes him 2 hrs to get over one little bang.
I have had him on Zylkene and it done nothing for him at all and I now have him on these drops reccommended by someone on here, but last night there were a few bangs in the distance and he was immeadietly in a terrible state, so they don't work for him either.
We have tried so many things the past few years from Dap diffuser, skullcap and valerian etc etc and nothing has helped him at all which is why we book him in for boarding at the kennels.
Have you tried the firework display CD at a very low volume to start with? It was recommended to me by a lady who breeds Flatcoats, who plays it loudly to all her pups before they leave her.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Have you tried the firework display CD at a very low volume to start with? It was recommended to me by a lady who breeds Flatcoats, who plays it loudly to all her pups before they leave her.
Yes my vet gave me one free 3 years ago but even on low it gets him in a state on the firework bit. Its some tone he seems to pick up in the whistles and crackles and bangs.
It also had thunder on the cd which he is fine with but real thunder has him in a right state, yet gun fire when we have been out doesn't seem to bother him.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I've never had a dog, even growing up, who was bothered by fireworks. The closest to it is Zane, who I have now. He will bark at every whoosh, scream, bang etc but only if he can't see them. If he can either see them through the from window or out on the patio behind the house he will sit and watch them - in silence! He'll sit perfectly if out on a walk too to watch them if he can see them!

I did have a foster dog a couple of years back who was terrified. I ignored his reaction tot hem entirely but turning up the radio or TV didn't help. I ended up having a DAP collar then also one of the infusers that plug into the wall. It was the only way for him to be even remotely calm. The only problem was that the other dogs in the house were flaked out from early evening right through to the following morning.

Yesterday morning I had the (unpleasant) neighbours banging on the fence to wind up the dogs at around 6am along with fireworks going off in the distance. So Zane was going loopy because of the bangs. Then the more pleasant neighbours were banging on the walls for him to shut up. Not a chance!! Just made him worse.

Anyway, I feel for anyone who has a dog this time of year who is afraid or reacts to the fireworks. It's not fair on them. Fireworks are man made. When I was growing up they were let off on 5th November and if we were in Spain, on New Years Eve. Now they start mid-October and are almost constant until the end of November. Less than 2 weeks later they start up again as though people need to practice for the New Year. Ridiculous!
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
As Riley has only been with us a few months and training has only just clicked for us (and by us I mean me) haven't had a chance to train out any fear of fireworks.

And they have started in our area already.

He's so scared bless him, I'm trying to ignore him and make no big deal of them - but when he literally jumps on my knee shaking, trying to put his nose in my armpit it becomes difficult.

Starting to worry about November already and wondered if anyone had any recommendations?

I'm not keen on anxiolytics like ACP (don't even know if this is used anymore) and it'll probably last for a few nights so knocking him out on the 5th isn't really viable.
Homeo Pet ANXIETY.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >