Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Supermarket Pet insurance

I have heard that although insurance from supermarkets can seem like a cheaper option, the cover is not as good and you need to be careful to check what is covered. I've also read that basic cover usually works out expensive because of what it doesn't cover

Does anyone use an insurance from a supermarket? Are they better or worse than other insurance poilicies?
My dad had Brandie insured with tesco and there were no problems, but that was only for just over a year. I remember the excess did rise

What are your opinions?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I don't think it matters how the Insurance is branded, it is what is contained in the policy terms that is the important bit IMO, it is neither here nor there what name the insurance is sold under as there will usually be another company behind the brand name acting as underwriter.

M&S and one of the supermarkets (I think it's Sainsbury) pet insurance policies are both underwritten by the same company but the terms of the policies are slightly different, as are the premiums.

M&S is a glorified supermarket and their policy is one of the most comprehensive and competetively priced on the market. When I initially shopped around for a policy, I found a couple of companies offering the same cover as M&S (broadly speaking) but at twice the price!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks ShaynLola

I'm just going on what I have read. Insurance really confuses me I have no idea which is best
I like the sound of marks and spencer but that is because so many people on here have said it is good. i don't know about what it covers
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-07-2006, 12:20 AM
m&s basically cover everything.

are the best

ring them up if your unsure and speak to them see what they say
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 12:43 AM
oh ok

I'm not looking for any at the moment though
lleonder
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I am with Sainsburys which is very resonable. I think the Marks one looked better but because of previous problems my dog had they wanted loads of stuff from the vets which would have taken ages and I wanted imediate cover. Since taking out the Sainsbury one my dog has had quite a few problems as well as referal to vet hospital so in total they have paid out about £1500 with no quibbles and my policy has not risen in price this year.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 09:34 PM
It doesn't really make any difference whether it's supermarket branded or not, what's important is who underwrites it and what the cover includes.