Our sister sites
Our sister sites
calmwaters
New Member!
Female 

11-07-2006, 08:32 PM

Phantom pregnancy? with a rash

Hi folks
my little border terrier has a red angry rash on her tummy...we thought it may be because during the hot spell she has laid outside on in the shade on the patio...we have a problem out doors with ants & we thought she had probably been bitten by them....but despite bathing her & putting antiseptic cream on her it just hasn't got any better, so today we took her to the vets....He says "she's having a phantom pregnancy & the redness is caused by her itching the irratation from her teats which are holding milk". She has to go back to the vet in 3 weeks to be assessed with a view to having her spayed....She is 9 years old & healthy & a happy little dog...so if this is the case, fair enough...but i'm aware of her suffering now because of her tummy itching....she keeps rubbing her tummy on the carpet which i'm sure isn't helping...
can anyone suggest anything i can do to help her?...cream or lotion to put on or should i shower her with lukewarm water (sometimes i think that helps)
I feel desperate knowing she is uncomfortable & i can't help her. Please help.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
i have seen dogs get a rash through swollen mammory glands speying her is def the best decision,i would try some cream like sudocrem which is used for nappyrash you could also ask your vet to prescribe some cream to help her,hope this helps you and hope she feels better soon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Calm waters poor little dog, an ice pack wrapped in a thin cloth like an old tea towel applied to the teats for a short time may help the sore teats and will feel soothing.

You don't want to rub the teats really if you can avoid it because that may stimulate the production of more milk.
calmwaters
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Folks
Thank you so much for the advice. What I did was......
Gave her a lukewarm shower & washed her tummy with baby shampoo, Then we she was out of the shower & towel dried I put some sudocrem on her tummy & around a few of her teats where it was red.
The following morning the rash had gone...so to be sure I applied a small amount & rubbed it in well...Her teats aren't filled with milk so i'm beginning to wonder if she is/was having a phantom pregnancy at all ! & the rash had dissapeared.
Today she is back to her usual cheeky self & her personality hasn't changed at all through out all this...
I think that the rash on her tummy was ant bites from off the patio...
i was told recently that as she is 9 her usual 6monthly heat will stop soon...Is this right?
I dont want her to undergo an operation she doesn't need if she will stop having a heat...she is 9 & I worry about putting her under an anaesetic if she really doesn't need it.
What does every one else think?
Would you follow the advice of the vet & have her done?

Thanks Folks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi Calmwaters glad things have settled down

I am afraid you were misinformed , bitches don't have a menopause they come into season all their lives and I have know of accidental litters in elderly bitches.

In older unspayed bitches it is a good idea to keep an eye out for mammary tumour,to do this check the teats for any lumps from time to time .

Also keep a look out for pyometra which is more frequent in elderly bitches and normally follows a season when the passage to the uterus has been open allowing bacteria to gain access .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by calmwaters
Hi Folks
Thank you so much for the advice. What I did was......
Gave her a lukewarm shower & washed her tummy with baby shampoo, Then we she was out of the shower & towel dried I put some sudocrem on her tummy & around a few of her teats where it was red.
The following morning the rash had gone...so to be sure I applied a small amount & rubbed it in well...Her teats aren't filled with milk so i'm beginning to wonder if she is/was having a phantom pregnancy at all ! & the rash had dissapeared.
Today she is back to her usual cheeky self & her personality hasn't changed at all through out all this...
I think that the rash on her tummy was ant bites from off the patio...
i was told recently that as she is 9 her usual 6monthly heat will stop soon...Is this right?
I dont want her to undergo an operation she doesn't need if she will stop having a heat...she is 9 & I worry about putting her under an anaesetic if she really doesn't need it.
What does every one else think?
Would you follow the advice of the vet & have her done?

Thanks Folks
9 is not old and a dog that suffers phantom pregnancies will be at higher risk from developing mammary tumors and contracting a Pyometra. If she were mine she would be spayed.
Dawn.
calmwaters
New Member!
Female 

14-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi Folks, thank you for your advice...I think it is best to have her done in the circumstances.I'm glad i was directed to this site by Michael & Sam...

We have never had a bitch before, so we really weren't sure what to do, but after reading your posts We are having her spayed.
I dont want her to go through this again. she is precious to us.

Thank you once again for your help & support