Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Fostering. Does it get any easier??

I have just said goodbye to Noodles and am miserable and in tears , just wondering if it gets any easier parting with them?? Not sure how my OH is going to cope with me crying every time one finds a forever home.
We have had three so far, the only one that didn't break my heart was Ollie as he went back to his original home and knew them.
Just thinking, can you build up a state of mind where it doesn't upset you? I know when they walk in the door they are not forever and I am okay with that until I hand them over and then the tears flow.
Other people who foster or have fostered, does it get any easier??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

and that goes for fostering children too

Well done hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!

and that goes for fostering children too

Well done hun xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You were suppose to say yes at this rate, if I get another one I will be keeping them

Edited to add kids scare me
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Not that I am aware of - Sorry
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Hi how long did you foster Noodles for ? i have had three fosters, the first two i only had a week and they found homes, currently i have a 5 month old lurcher girlie and i've had her for a month now.

You do get attached, my two children also get attached but i just say if we kept them then we wouldn't be able to help any more dogs find homes, that usually works.

There is a bit of interest in my current foster i believe so maybe soon i'll be saying goodbye to her and she will have a lovely forever home

Just think that when they find a loving home that you have been insrtumental in that process x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Not that I am aware of - Sorry
Oh dear.............I have a feeling at some point if it doesn't get easier I will end up having a foster failure soon
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
So what if it doesnt get easier mate. You let these little furballs into your life and love them like your own. To then have them leave must be so hard and rightly upsetting. But what you have to remember is that that you have saved them from the stress of kennel life or even worse! You are doing a wonderful thing in helping these pups find their forever families. If you want to cry, then cry. I for one will lend you a shoulder any time. Big hugs across the miles for you and sloppy terrier kisses from the Tillymonster! xxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Oh dear.............I have a feeling at some point if it doesn't get easier I will end up having a foster failure soon
To be honest.....if you were finding it easy I'd be worried.

When you love dogs and let them into your life - letting them go...even when you know it is for the best is very hard.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Nope - in fact I'd say letting one go, even to a fantastic home, is upsetting.

Here's a piccie of my 9 month old foster pup, Tashi.

Fortunately for me there's been no interest so she'll be staying for a while

I try to think that even if only for a few days, that I can make a positive difference to a dog before it goes to their new home. And for those dogs who stay with me a little longer, I get to do some training with them also so hopefully home life with a new dog will be easier for their new owners too.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Hi how long did you foster Noodles for ? i have had three fosters, the first two i only had a week and they found homes, currently i have a 5 month old lurcher girlie and i've had her for a month now.

You do get attached, my two children also get attached but i just say if we kept them then we wouldn't be able to help any more dogs find homes, that usually works.

There is a bit of interest in my current foster i believe so maybe soon i'll be saying goodbye to her and she will have a lovely forever home

Just think that when they find a loving home that you have been insrtumental in that process x
I had to go and look I only had him two weeks, it felt so much longer!!
I had Scruffy for just over two months (he was a bit more complicated)
Ollie for a month
It is really weird I try to think that they are going to a good home, but then worry kicks in. I know in fact that they are landing on their feet, I guess it is just the 'what if's' that get me and the fact I could so easily keep them as well
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »