Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:59 PM

Cats & GSDs - I need some help

Ok, I'm in need of some advice.

As many of you know, I got a new GSD a few months ago. He was starved nearly to the point of death. It has taken me three months of sometimes force-feeding to get my big boy, Kavik, to the point where he is out of danger though still thin. That's him above.

Anyway, he came into this house to be a companion to my grieving GSD/Hound X Ookie. Before both of these lovely dogs lived our cat, Tig. She was perfectly happy with my Malamute X. No problems. Ookie came into the house and chased her for the onset but stopped after a month. She's smart enough to have worked out that Tig was part of our pack (she chases all other cats though). Kavik comes into the house and I figure it will be the same. Nope. Three months later he is still avidly chasing her.

Now, I understand that he probably had this drive. The need to eat when he was so unbelivably thin. And its true, as he got fatter and started to feel better, he stopped being quite as adament in his obsession. She's a great cat and smart. She worked out fast not to run. She just sits on the windowsill and stares at him. I started training with him and when I am in the room, he doesn't go near her. But he started jumping up to look at her and then when he is told off he runs and picks up a toy and parades around. That's the new thing...he's doing it for attention.

So now I'm trying something new. As I am now 95% sure he won't kill Tig, I am allowing him to go near her whenever he wants. He has started barking or knocking stuff over to get our attention. If we're not in the room or near, he's quiet and lays and watchs her. But if we come near he makes a go for her and usually there ends up being a yelping GSD.

So I guess I'm here for moral support and to hear if anyone else has had this problem. We've only been doing the ignoring him for three days and I think it might be working. Before you ask, he is still whole (if ya know what I mean). I plan on getting him fixed as soon as we either have the funds or can find help for the cost. I found our Pet Aid will pay for 25% of the bill but as my vet has estimated £100 and up, I'm still saving my coins.

Thanks everyone,
Alison
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Hope you get an answer Hun...Skye our almost 2 year old Collie, still herds ours up....all 5, no matter how many times she gets told NO. She waits till our backs turned and chases them up in the corner, we leave her now....how many times she's been smacked on the nose by them...numerous
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:03 PM
well i cant help as have a cat hater here so not something we have in our house.

But didnt want to read and run and it does sound as ifyou are going in the right direction...
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks so much for the instant responce! I was still re-reading my post. *lol*

When we first got him he had put his mouth on our cat a few times but no bites, so I don't think he has that killer instinct. Ironicly Ookie does. I shudder to think what would happen if I let her off her lead. I'm waiting a bit more before off lead training with that one!

It sounds like Skye might be doing it for attention too. I'm hoping a little snip and some ignoring will get this sorted.

*crosses her fingers*
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:14 PM
sounds like you doing every thing you can i dont have cats so cant help but i am sure some will let you now, good luck tho
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi,

Think it sounds like you are doing the right things regarding the dog and your cat. If he starts to really bug the cat you could maybe use a house line - so there is no confrontation but you can take him away?

With regards to neutering, although it's prob about 40 miles there is this Vet Neutering and Vaccination Practice in Edinburgh that neuters males for £80 and also accepts the 25% voucher (you can get these from Dog Aid Society of Scotland in Edinburgh too). Here are the details...

Vetwise
5 Polwarth Gardens
Edinburgh
Midlothian
EH11 1JS
0131 221 1110

Hope things settle down with your cat!

Deedee
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks DeeDee. I'm not sure if the price is because he's so darned large. He's really huge 45Kg and skinny. Thanks for the info though. I'll definitly look into it. Don't tell me you had to take your kids down from Aberdeen to that vet?! Ouch!
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Argh no, the petrol would have prob made it more expensive! I'm originally from East Lothian though and my friend from home has used them. I did get the voucher from Dog Aid Society but my vets didn't take them. Your dog is lovely by the way!

Deedee
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post
Thanks so much for the instant responce! I was still re-reading my post. *lol*

When we first got him he had put his mouth on our cat a few times but no bites, so I don't think he has that killer instinct. Ironicly Ookie does. I shudder to think what would happen if I let her off her lead. I'm waiting a bit more before off lead training with that one!

It sounds like Skye might be doing it for attention too. I'm hoping a little snip and some ignoring will get this sorted.

*crosses her fingers*
Well it's working here Hun...,.Skye comes straight to me looking very 'Errr did you see that' and we just ignore her....slowing down rapidly...she will learn the hard way 5 onto 1
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks DeeDee. I couldn't beleive what a beauty he was. He was a total fluke. I phoned the GSD rescue and just asked for a dog. Same with Ookie. And when they phoned back about them I thought it was fate and took them without seeing them.

*lol about Skye* And what do your cats think? *giggles* Tig looks at Kavik as if he were something that crawled in under the door or something. *lmao*
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >