Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Muzzle for Remus.

I've never used one on a dog before but I have ordered a muzzle for Remus.

I feel it's the sensible thing to do as he has a low pain tolerance and has not been used to being handled as a little pup. He growls as a warning if he doesn't like something myself or the children are doing, but has become a lot less growls recently

I took him to the vets yesterday to check on his eyes and he's so different to be with compared to Tonks there. He's friendly but also fidgety and definitely disliked having his face held and eyes looked in....completely fair enough...but I feel that if he were to be in real pain at the vets I'm not sure how much self control he would be able to show, and its better safe than sorry. At least this way I can get him used to wearing one in case it's ever needed.

I've ordered him a ultra Baskerville muzzle which is supposed to be soft, light and comfortable. I'll be shaping him in to it once it arrives. .....get his little mind working too.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Grayson had one of those muzzles when he started losing it.
I hated it on him because of the whole situation, but he didn't seem too bothered by it so it can't have been uncomfortable - easy to put on too

Hope he takes ok to it!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Well we're in no rush.....hoping he won't seriously injure himself soon!.... so we'll just start the training when it arrives.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Jade has a Baskerville muzzle. They are great. They ARE soft, and even though the rubber is tough, they bend too! I have to use hers a lot, and she doesn't mind it at all.

BTW, the vets always have a muzzle on hand if you have an aggressive dog, so I doubt you'd need your own for the vets.

Brownie wasn't aggressive, and though he did sometimes growl, he'd never be truly aggressive... but I think he sensed they were going to hurt him that day (the day he was put down), so he DID get VERY aggressive and the vets had a muzzle right there for me to use.

Either way, I'd certainly say get the Baskerville muzzles, they are the easiest to wear. It was kinda hard for me to size though, Jade had an oddly shaped head and the one that actually kind of fit pissed her off.

Added: Nigredo DID get to it and was unable to truly damage it (OMG!!!) so I think that rubber stuff they use is some pretty strong stuff because he's dealt serious damage to things I'd not think he really could.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:45 PM
As you say better safe that sorry
How did he get on with his eye check, everything ok?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Jade has a Baskerville muzzle. They are great. They ARE soft, and even though the rubber is tough, they bend too! I have to use hers a lot, and she doesn't mind it at all.

BTW, the vets always have a muzzle on hand if you have an aggressive dog, so I doubt you'd need your own for the vets.

Brownie wasn't aggressive, and though he did sometimes growl, he'd never be truly aggressive... but I think he sensed they were going to hurt him that day (the day he was put down), so he DID get VERY aggressive and the vets had a muzzle right there for me to use.

Either way, I'd certainly say get the Baskerville muzzles, they are the easiest to wear. It was kinda hard for me to size though, Jade had an oddly shaped head and the one that actually kind of fit pissed her off.

Added: Nigredo DID get to it and was unable to truly damage it (OMG!!!) so I think that rubber stuff they use is some pretty strong stuff because he's dealt serious damage to things I'd not think he really could.
I knew they would have one, or they use a bandage to do it, but I want to have one at home so that I can train him to accept one...so it won't come as a nasty shock if we ever have to use one when he's in pain.
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
As you say better safe that sorry
How did he get on with his eye check, everything ok?
Yep he has a very low level thing going on. Red under the bottom lip and granulated (think that's what the vet said). He tried hard to see if any of his eyelashes were turning in and doesn't think they are, he'll have a proper look when he's under for his castration. The vet feels that it's so low level that its best to leave it and let Remus' body continue dealing with in. I can bathe them where necessary. Tonks' eyes are fine so it's not conjunctivitis.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2013, 10:17 PM
sounds good. My next door neighbours dog was a growler, only with their daughter though for some reason, Anyway it all stopped when he was castrated, just doesn't do it anymore.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2013, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
sounds good. My next door neighbours dog was a growler, only with their daughter though for some reason, Anyway it all stopped when he was castrated, just doesn't do it anymore.
He is doing it less, I'd like to think it would stop when he's done but I don't hold out much hope. I think it's more to do with his early puppy hood where was neglected and left In an abandoned caravan. I guess he was cold so warmth is his most important thing. He had a brother with him but he was a third smaller than Remus so I guess Remus used his size to get exactly what he wanted too. The other one was even more skinny than him when they were rescued so I think Remus will have learnt to growl etc to get what he wanted. Oddly enough he is fine with food.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I've never used one on a dog before but I have ordered a muzzle for Remus.

I feel it's the sensible thing to do as he has a low pain tolerance and has not been used to being handled as a little pup. He growls as a warning if he doesn't like something myself or the children are doing, but has become a lot less growls recently
Growling is communication, he is telling you something is wrong and he needs to be listened to, I have taken on dogs who had stopped growling so they bite as soon as something upsets them. When Remus growls back away. When you work out what he is growling about you can then take steps to help him cope.

I took him to the vets yesterday to check on his eyes and he's so different to be with compared to Tonks there. He's friendly but also fidgety and definitely disliked having his face held and eyes looked in....completely fair enough...but I feel that if he were to be in real pain at the vets I'm not sure how much self control he would be able to show, and its better safe than sorry. At least this way I can get him used to wearing one in case it's ever needed.

I've ordered him a ultra Baskerville muzzle which is supposed to be soft, light and comfortable. I'll be shaping him in to it once it arrives. .....get his little mind working too.
All my dogs are taught to wear a basket muzzle but I don't normally put them on as they can make a problem worse not better and they can still do lot of damage with the muzzle one. I remember a few years ago a muzzled Greyhound killed a dog when he was muzzled. Owners do get a false sense of security from them.

What is wrong with Remus' eyes?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Growling is communication, he is telling you something is wrong and he needs to be listened to, I have taken on dogs who had stopped growling so they bite as soon as something upsets them. When Remus growls back away. When you work out what he is growling about you can then take steps to help him cope.

All my dogs are taught to wear a basket muzzle but I don't normally put them on as they can make a problem worse not better and they can still do lot of damage with the muzzle one. I remember a few years ago a muzzled Greyhound killed a dog when he was muzzled. Owners do get a false sense of security from them.

What is wrong with Remus' eyes?
Yep, which is exactly what we have done, which is why he is growling less. In general he doesn't like to be moved...or feel he is going to be moved...from a warm spot on a sofa or bed. He was abandoned as a tiny puppy in a derelict caravan so was probably very cold and scared for a long time.

The only reason I am muzzle training him is because I feel tha if he was ever in really pain and having to be examined by a vet...say in an emergency...that he may not be able to cope so well and, if the examination had to continue despite his discomfort, he may well snap.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >