View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 01:13 AM
I would do anything I could to help a friend.

I would never give to any charity unless I was absolutely positive where the money went because I know how they work
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Well I'd like to say 'leave it at home' but I think my Bank Manager might have a different view, with a few direct debits going out, but all to Animals I'm afraid. Then there's the money thing here with Foster Kids, then there's one of our son's who is having money problems at the moment, then the Grandchildren ie: helping with clothes and shoes......................Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no money for us here Looks like I'm a giver.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:32 AM
I think most people already know my thoughts on this. There are times when a lot, if not most of us will need a helping hand of some description. I'd always try and help someone who's need was greater than mine, but then, that's just me, I guess.
I used to give to the RSCPA by monthly direct debit, but they p*ssed me off so badly one year, I cancelled it.
I think to myself, if someone needs that tenner more than me, then they should have it x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:50 AM
I think it isn't always about money. It's intersting how people have all mentioned what they give interms of cash, when a lot of the time they have skills etc they could offer up instead. Yes, I give to charity, yes I would help a friend out, but I have been involved with voluntary work from when I was 17 and I have given more hours in blood,sweat and tears than I would ever care to count. Charity is not always about money, charity is about caring and doing...I would also rather go and lend an ear/helping hand/shoulder to a friend in need than give them a tenner.
My family will always come first but I think it is important to reach out and help others in whatever way we can.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
I also think a lot of people have downers on giving to organised charity...but that can be so destructive for them and the people that they help.
Yes the sponsor a child thing leaves a lot to be desired, yes many organised charities can waste money...but if some money gets through to those that need it then surely that is better than nothing.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 06:57 AM
we try and tithe our money at church - which means we give 10% of any money we recieve. we also give time and effort to others.

we might not always give money but we try and help where needed. one of the things i am passionate about is our local dog warden. we try to help them practically with bedding and towels.

we also believe in giving unwanted things either on freecycle or to charity shops or to people less fortunate than ourselves.

i believe that charity is not just at home but to whom ever, where ever there is a genuine need for help.

sue
goblygouck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I think it isn't always about money. It's intersting how people have all mentioned what they give interms of cash, when a lot of the time they have skills etc they could offer up instead. Yes, I give to charity, yes I would help a friend out, but I have been involved with voluntary work from when I was 17 and I have given more hours in blood,sweat and tears than I would ever care to count. Charity is not always about money, charity is about caring and doing...I would also rather go and lend an ear/helping hand/shoulder to a friend in need than give them a tenner.
My family will always come first but I think it is important to reach out and help others in whatever way we can.
Totally agree with this
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I agree. But if I was to list what I give emotionally, blood sweat, tears, shoulder to cry on,teaching skills, etc. I'd be here all day. But your so right No wonder I'm rocking in the corner
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2008, 07:25 AM
I still try every single day to make a difference to someones life. It doesn't always take money to to it. A simple smile to a lonely person is often enough to make a difference. If I can touch someones life in any way to make a positive difference for them then I'm happy. I do give to charity. Only £10 per month but me and OH change the charity each year. On top of that we sponser two dogs at dogs trust as well.

I make sure my family is well taken care of and yes, if we were poor I wouldn't still give to charity if it meant compromising my kids. So in a way yes it begins at home but like I said it shouldn't always be monetary.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 08:15 AM
i think

If we were strapped for cash then no i couldnt give... but i would try to help in other ways...material donations..(leads, collars, clothes etc...).
i would love to be able to donate time but working 6 days a week i havent any that i can spare!
I used to donate monthly but i cant spare it now!

I do think there is a lot of wasted money in charities...yeah ok they need a CEO but does he/she really need to be on £250000???????

thats what hinders me from donating...
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »