Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:16 PM

Does charity begin at home?

And do you think that's were it should stay?
Do you think helping out friend's is diffrent and we all need a helping hand from time to time.?
Your view's please.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I think if you can help someone in need you should , It gives you a great sense of worth knowing that you cared enough to help .
I was always taught to help those less fortunate than yourself , As you never know the day when you yourself will be in a position where you need help .
Besides is it not better to help those in need ie charities , homeless etc ,I feel personally it better to be kind and generous where you can , Rather than be selfish and not caring jmo xxdk
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:22 PM
My view is.. it should start at home... I dont agree with sending funds everywhere like we do, I think we have as great need in this country as other countries...and personally I wouldnt send money anywhere else till the people who need it in this country get helped first.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I will try and help anyone out if I can, I would hope someone would be there for me if I needed help.

Originally Posted by horses01466 View Post
I dont agree with sending funds everywhere like we do,
I don't agree with sending some to head quarters because they spend it on the xmas do's etc but to the local charities, where you know where the money is going I do.

ATDx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
I will try and help anyone out if I can, I would hope someone would be there for me if I needed help.

I don't agree with sending some to head quarters because they spend it on the xmas do's etc but to the local charities, where you know where the money is going I do.

ATDx
I know what you mean , I prefer to send money to places and people who will get the full benifit from the proceeds , And not be swallowed up in hidden charges were they only get a fraction if that of the money xxxdk
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-05-2008, 09:54 PM
I have helped mates & family out in the past and will do so again, though they are always quick at paying back. I give to a couple of charitys often(monthly) and others now and then. I also donate to the local charity shops. While not well off or super rich myself I consider myself lucky compared to many out there.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I do my best to help those around me, If I think my mates are struggling I do without myself to help them, I give to a cancer charity too,
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd give a friend my last quid if it made their life better, I think there but for the grace of god go I and you never know when you might need help
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Web sponsor a child in Africa (Gambia) and committed to that 15 years ago.The children have change over the years as their needs and their villages needs have changed. We decided to stick to the one charity and give regularly(monthly),b We receive cards and newsletters from them. On one occasion ( for a few months) the money went to a family who's daughters were at risk of child prostitution in the city.

It also does the kids good to see how our money helps others.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Web sponsor a child in Africa (Gambia) and committed to that 15 years ago.The children have change over the years as their needs and their villages needs have changed. We decided to stick to the one charity and give regularly(monthly),b We receive cards and newsletters from them. On one occasion ( for a few months) the money went to a family who's daughters were at risk of child prostitution in the city.

It also does the kids good to see how our money helps others.
I won't tell you how real child sponsorship works then !

I agree with this :

horses01466
My view is.. it should start at home... I dont agree with sending funds everywhere like we do, I think we have as great need in this country as other countries...and personally I wouldnt send money anywhere else till the people who need it in this country get helped first.
There are too many situations in this Country with the Elderly and Children that need help. Having worked for Action Aid for some time (which do work on behalf of many other Charities) I would never send money elsewhere, when their own corrupt Governments have the power to help

Having said that, we help friends/family all the time and are often taken advantage of, but we still do it when times are hard as neither of us can say no

If I have it I will always help a friend in need because one of the hardest things in the world is to ask for help when you need it the most, and if it's really needed you know it will be somehow appreciated.

I also give to Animal and Children's charities in this Country, because I'm a soft touch
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »