View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Helen, just caught up with this thread. We have mole catchers active in this area and as I think has already been mentioned,I think they need a license to use poison to kill them. I wonder if this chap doesn't have a license and thats why he is saying that he is trapping them?
Anyway I know you will give them hell. If it turns out that this is what happened to Cassie it will be a mystery solved as well, cos I know you were worried about what was causing her illness
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Hi Helen, just caught up with this thread. We have mole catchers active in this area and as I think has already been mentioned,I think they need a license to use poison to kill them. I wonder if this chap doesn't have a license and thats why he is saying that he is trapping them?
Anyway I know you will give them hell. If it turns out that this is what happened to Cassie it will be a mystery solved as well, cos I know you were worried about what was causing her illness
Hi Het Yes I wonder if he does have a licence too, as I never thought of that! The Wildlife man will be very interested in getting his name and address of me I think when he phones. I don't hold out much hope on Cassie's blood though, as it was actually due back today and was an EPI test nothing else, but I won't give up hope, the vet might ring me later when he's finished surgery maybe.

I told myself this morning, I am staying off DW today to get some work done, but yet again I'm back on here, got nothing done, as I'm too busy playing Inspector Helena! Lol! At least the dogs have been out twice though and that's the only important job around here
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

24-05-2005, 01:10 PM
poor moles and other animals caught up in the poisoning - I find some humans to be a nuisance but I don't poison them!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2005, 06:51 PM
OMG Helena, I've only just found this. That's incredible, I hope that the vet can proove it was this mole man that made poor Cassie sooo poorly, at least then you know it was an isolated incident (she says) I would definately pass the vets bill onto the council, the local newspapers love this type of story - if you get my drift

If you need any help making Gooley Pie, let me know
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Any progress on this Helena?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Thanks guys, I knew you would come up with something!
Anyway, phoned my local Env.Health Dept. they were very interested indeed, but told me I had to contact my local Parish Council who would have requested this to be done. So I did. Only got the Clerk, but explained it all to her and about all our dogs and mine too, and that my friend had actually seen the man putting it down and he told her it was poison but was too far down to effect our dogs! Anyway, because she herself has dogs and lives in the village, she is going to get hold of this man who we have had for many years doing this, but she said he used traps! Ha!

That is also very interesting WhizGirl on the Defra site about the use of strychnine on gallops, as of course we have Josh Gifford's racing gallops next to our village green, and I have been told before by another woman not to walk my dogs across there as the mole man had been and he uses poison!

I have just rung my vets back and asked the receiptionist to have a word with my vet as to whether they still have Cassie's blood from last week, even if it means contacting the laboratory where they are doing her EPI test, they may just have it still, in which case I want it tested for strychnine and I will throw the bloody book at them! I am so angry now about this and I will persue it. The local Council told me to get back to them once I had spoken to the Parish Council if I had no joy. Well, I don't think I have had any joy as she said she is going to talk to the man and they will have a meeting? He will obviously lie through his teeth won't he. I must go up and find out the name and address of this girl I know, as I only know her by sight and where she lives, and she is the one who saw the man and spoke to him. I am definitely on this case now! I will keep you updated.

We have young children too who use this green, let alone our poor dogs, this is absolutely atroscious in my eyes

Thank you all so much for this valuable information you have armed me with!

An armed and dangerous Helena, me thinks I will keep out of her way
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Any progress on this Helena?
Yes, well my latest info on this one is the Wildlife Dr. is very interested in this and has in fact contacted the mole man but hasn't come back to me yet about the discussion. I have now found 4 dogs in my local vicinity who were all at the vets on a drip passing blood last week! That is not coincidence is it! The Parish council woman had her tail between her legs when I told her about these other 4 dogs, but has assured me she has spoken to the mole man and he has said he used gas, not strychnine. One particular lady spoke to the tractor driver of our local gallops and he actually told her they were using strychnine on the gallops a couple of weeks ago, and these gallops are a mere 10 yards away from our green! One of these 4 other dogs actually picked up one of the dead moles on the green and licked it, and was violently sick when she got home and is still on antibiotics. My vet said it is not strychnine poisoning as death would have been instant,and so does the Wildlife doc say that, but I said maybe this is in a milder form as to me they have definitely been poisoned in some way. My vet is of the opinion that one dog who had a bad virus/infection may have walked around the green and that is why all of the other dogsare suffering, but I don't think so.

The Defra man said it has now been "logged", but unfortunately because no dog actually died (thank God!) then he doesn't think this will go any further. However, he is going to speak to the woman who spoke to the tractor driver about the poisoning on the gallops and the mole man himself, who will again lie! Apparently, he told the Parish councillor that he would not use strychnine because it was so expensive, and yet the Wildlife doc said it is the cheapest thing to use, so what do you think he used! Yes, me too!

I am still trying to find out if there are any more dogs in the village as so far these other 4 are only minutes away fromwhere I live, and yet our village has lots more dogs, so I am still on the case.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3