register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 8 of 29 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Gonzo33 View Post
Ok, yes there can be horse or human error as well. However I still think that training is a key issue. The horse that won the national was in such a state that it needed to be stabled straight away, and was given oxygen.

I know the weather in UK can be unpredictable and that it was unseasonably warm but this should not be an excuse.

**I should add that I live in Cyprus as my husband is in the Army, so my home country is UK, and I did use to work with hunters**
Which hunt in the winter cold weather.

So how would you train then for the off chance we get a extremely hot day again at such an event.

lets nto forget we have 3/4* eventing throughout the summer mths , those horses run a xcross country course without any extra training in extreme heat.

This year was exceptional, we cant plan for that,

The National, the Puissance, Hickstead bank, are all elerments that no amount of traing will prepare you for.

You do as much as you can, but it comes down to in the end, guts on the day! for horse and rider.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Just for information:
Here is a link to information on each of the fences at the GN: Fences Info

It gives details of height and width, techniques etc for each jump.

This could be helpful in thinking about what changes you may think should be made to the main GN course.

Also, for comparison, here is some information regarding the "Puissance" competition - a 'high' jump, which is contested every year, and can go as high as 7ft: Wiki: Puissance

Just as clarification - do people opposed to the GN also believe that other equestrian sports should be changed/abolished too? So, show-jumping, dressage, eventing, equitation etc, as well as in-hand and ridden shows?
No real comparison---the puissance is one horse not 40 racing each other. If a show jumper used a whip in the way the jockeys do there would be hell to pay----and in the past there has been!

In the old days the puissance was never divided if the horses jumped clear---unless the riders both agreed to it. Now it has a limit. Very few horses have been killed/injured doing the puissance but several have never jumped again at top level after jumping so high. Notably a grey Harvey Smith rode---name beginning with A----anyone remember it? It was wrecked after the high jump (not the same as a puissance).

As I said about the Hickstead bank----lessons were learnt after the first fatality---one too many but at least it changed fast then.

rune
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That doesnt bother me at all, I have no interest in other peoples approval, as long as I am comfortable with what I do, Im happy with that.
I know and I think it's fab
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Allright, I don't think we need to keep picking on Dawn now. You have made your point about how disappointed you are. It's not just about her, it's about everyone who believes in it and supports it.
pot kettle and black sprang to mind
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
On another forum this link is up, I think that the pictures make for uncomfortable viewing,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-Aintree.html

This one really makes me cringe, although its probally not the worse one.

I do think that there should be some changes to protect the welfare of the horses, and keep them as safe as possible, although I do know that there are risks in everything, these risks should be minimised, whether that means fewer, and lower jumps, and fewer number of horses on the tracks, or any other way of improving the chances of the horses out on the tracks.

I will say I did watch it, I followed 'silver by nature' and 'golden kite' as much as I could, and was so happy when they finished, that was enough, and it was great that they did, although I'm saddened by the ones who died, and the jockey, I do think that they should have more attention there then they did.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
It's interesting that the stats so far on this poll are similar to the yougov poll I posted on the other thread.
So far 31% want it abolished and 53% want it to be changed in some way....making 84% of people that are not totally happy about it, that's quite a staggering majority.
Only 9% want it to stay as it is.
Speaks volumes.
Interesting that you link people that want it banned with people that want to keep it(with changes)

Why dont you link people Who want to keep it with changes with people who want to keep it as it is????????

So 53% want to keep it with changes+

And 9% what to keep it as it is, MAKES..........

62% are in favour and happy(ish) with keeping the race.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Interesting that you link people that want it banned with people that want to keep it(with changes)

Why dont you link people Who want to keep it with changes with people who want to keep it as it is????????

So 53% want to keep it with changes+

And 9% what to keep it as it is, MAKES..........

62% are in favour and happy(ish) with keeping the race.
this morning did a pole today..... a majority vote was to ban it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
IMO Pidge was being MORE than fair in her comments regarding your participation. LOL.

rune
Just as I said, "your opinion."
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately many are Azz, look at service dogs, or is that ok?
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes they are Azz, we all own dogs dont we, they serve our need for companionship, they work for us, they serve us in what capacity we see fit, be that companionship, work ability of food
There's a big difference between keeping a pet for companionship, with mutual respect, consideration and care than exploiting an animal for personal gain, especially when there is suffering involved.

I find it shocking that I'm having to point the difference out - on a dog lovers forum!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
As Long as the human race is around , you will get cruelty, and not only to animals.
What an odd mentality. That's like saying ''I don't need to stick to the law, because there will always be people breaking it''. There will always be cruelty to animals (human animals included), but why accept it? Why not make a stand against it and show tat you don't agree with it?

Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
pot kettle and black sprang to mind
KW, you're about as popular as a brussell sprout on here. You and I never have any interaction until someone has a go at me and then you have a little pop yourself. Grow a pair dude.

Doesnt bother me anyway LB, see if I say anything Im a "bully" if anyone says it to me, they are "entitled to their opinion" but hey, like I said, doesnt bother me.
That would show me that there is a problem with the way you post your 'opinion'.

Ramble, calm down. I'm not sticking up for Dawn and taking the moral high ground with you, I'm merely pointing out that the issue here is about more than your feeling towards your friend which I feel you mentioned too often on this thread and the other. That is my opinion and why I stated it.

Now, I noticed not one person who professes to be pro horse racing has really justified (the loss of life) and their reason for enjoying and supporting the sport. I still cannot understand how ''well horses could day in every day life anyway'' is enough. You are supporting a sport that puts animals lives at risk. How can you honestly continue to support it?
Page 8 of 29 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »