Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Bev, I know the vet has decided its probably not bloat but he can`t be sure over the phone, and if it is bloat, time is of the essence.
You know Ben, the bouncy young Lab owned by Sophie`s handler ?
He died last week - of bloat - he had been off colour and his vet did`nt think it was bloat either - by the time Tony saw the full blown symptoms it was too late, Ben did`nt make it to the vets alive
Please consider seeing the vet right now anyway
I'm afraid I agree, Bev. I lost my gorgeous great dane to a second bout of bloat.
Is your vet still open? If not, I would be ringing the emergency vet and demanding to be seen.
Having seen it first hand, I would always pay a visit to the vet at the very least. As Patch say, there's no way the vet can be sure over the phone. It's a bit unusual for a small breed, but then I'd never heard of Labs - even crosses - getting it before Breagh.
Hugs x0x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Distended stomachs are not good no matter what.
My thoughts entirely.......
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I'd be inclined to go to the vet. As I said Breagh seemed fine other than her swollen size. When I spoke to the vet on the phone they were unable to confirm or rule out bloat / torsion and pretty much left it up to me.

When I arrived at the energency vet he took her straight to the operating theatre. We were just in the nick of time.

Far better to be on the safe side.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe she's actually there now???? Dogsey vibes needed again perhaps????? Fingers and paws all crossed here, I hope all is well.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Suki, my dane, was lucky to survive the first episode, and with surgery, made a good recovery. However, 6 months later it recurred, and I chose that day to have lunch with a friend - something that has haunted me ever since - so was home later than usual. In my panic to get her to the vet in time, I actually shut her tail in the car door. She never even noticed...........
The vet said it would recur again, and did I really want to put my beautiful girl through it all again....
I said goodbye and held her as she slipped away.
That was nearly 20 years ago.......
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'd be inclined to go to the vet. As I said Breagh seemed fine other than her swollen size. When I spoke to the vet on the phone they were unable to confirm or rule out bloat / torsion and pretty much left it up to me.

When I arrived at the energency vet he took her straight to the operating theatre. We were just in the nick of time.

Far better to be on the safe side.
Think your right with your advice Phil,,,,I've worked in that line for years and wouldn't of thought a vet could say whether it was or wasn't over the phone. I think it's probably because it's a small dog and it's usually more common in large dogs with deep chests. I hope your advice has been taken on board, I've seen dogs (doby's Great Danes,etc.,) come in with bloat and all the vets I've worked with act immediately......emergency. If other people in the waiting room with less serious illness they have been told they can either wait or come back later.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks everyone, I am really keeping a close eye on him and he doesn't look as bloated now. He still seems ok in himself and has just eaten his supper. He has had a bit of wind this evening.
The emergency vet is literally 2 mins from my house so rest assured if I get worried he will be there. Although saying that I don't have a lot of faith in our emergency vets. The last dog I heard that went there with bloat , they would not operate on and said the owners would have to go to I think it was cambridge about 2 hrs drive away, the dog died on the journey.
I must admit if he does go downhill I will insist they treat him I will NOT take him on a 2 hr drive.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Thanks everyone, I am really keeping a close eye on him and he doesn't look as bloated now. He still seems ok in himself and has just eaten his supper. He has had a bit of wind this evening.
The emergency vet is literally 2 mins from my house so rest assured if I get worried he will be there. Although saying that I don't have a lot of faith in our emergency vets. The last dog I heard that went there with bloat , they would not operate on and said the owners would have to go to I think it was cambridge about 2 hrs drive away, the dog died on the journey.
I must admit if he does go downhill I will insist they treat him I will NOT take him on a 2 hr drive.
Thanks for posting again, Bev. You've put my mind at rest. You know how we all worry, especially about the dogs we know well . Let's hope it's just a huge bout of wind. Have you thought about "pegging him down"? :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

x0x0x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:49 AM
I was awoken at 2.30 am by loud bangs which made the dogs bark and shortly afterwards the sounds of fire engines so I got up to go to the front of the house to have a look ( I'm very nosey ) Came back in my room and the smell was awful, where my dear little boy had been passing lots of wind, so I opened all the windows, so I could breathe air instead of wind .
I have to say this morning he has been outside for a wee, barked at next door getting thier work stuff from the shed and now gone back to bed, so is behaving very normally, so I think my little cherub must have eaten something he shouldn't somewhere along the line. Goodness knows where though as he was on his flexi lead for all his walks yesterday and I have to be very careful at home that he gets nothing because of his food allergies, but at the end of the the day he is a Jack Russell Terroist so anything is possible.
Thanks again everyone, it was great knowing you were all there for us and rooting for the little horror. Hopefully this is the end of it and I don't have to suffer too much more wind or any runny poos.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:05 AM
So pleased that he has 'moved' his gassy belly!!! Aren't doggy farts the worst!!!:smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >