register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What type of dog do you prefer?
Working type. 21 30.00%
Show type. 6 8.57%
Dual purpose. 37 52.86%
Don't have a strong choice. 6 8.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I voted for working
From the breeds I have seen both of
Labs, Show labs far to stocky for me with giant heads and tend to get v fat, working dogs (I have seen) darker coat, leaner build with lots of muscle

Spanials - most types - Show ones have far to much coat - the standard is supposed to preserve the ability to work but these dogs have a coat that would need to much work - and the ear set makes them look a bit dim

Opps - sorry I will stop now
What are you trying to say????

Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Naww, his weight looks perfect IMO. Don't forget that Labs should have no tuck up.
But that won't change with less weight if the dog is constructed correctly. IMO you should be able to see a waist on most breeds, give or take the more unusual ones!

Either way, bloomin' lovely dog. Has one major fault though..........it ain't Yellow!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
This is my Ideal Working Lines /ISDS looking Dog

http://www.herding-dog-training-bord...om/pics007.htm

Look at his Intensity & Hes so Handsome!
Ben is a great dog. I know Derek from the trialling scene in Cumbria/North Lancs and he is such a nice bloke too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
& Wisp!!!

http://www.bobbydalziel.com/
Prefer Bobby's Dryden Joe to Wisp.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Fully field trial bred Labrador:

Fully show bred American and English Champion:

Quite shocking really. They look like entirely different breeds. I can't even recognize the first dog as a purebred Lab as it derives so far from the breed type.
Have to say, from those two examples, I much prefer the second dog - but could it work as well as the first? Surely there is a split because people want different things from their dogs? The working line suit the keepers etc and the show type are better suited to pet and show ring. I can't see things ever changing and even though it would be lovely to think that all breeds would one day be dual purpose, I don't really think it matters too much in the scheme of things.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Have to say, from those two examples, I much prefer the second dog - but could it work as well as the first? Surely there is a split because people want different things from their dogs? The working line suit the keepers etc and the show type are better suited to pet and show ring. I can't see things ever changing and even though it would be lovely to think that all breeds would one day be dual purpose, I don't really think it matters too much in the scheme of things.
Im sure it could work, its not over done at all.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Dog beeds split off because the people breeding them put winning above all else! At least in the Gundog world anyway. Those that want to win field trials breed dogs suitable for that and forget the breed standard, those that want to win shows breed what's most likely to be picked out by the fashionable judges of the day and forget what the breed was bred to do.

Many Show Labrador kennels work their dogs perfectly well in the UK these days, there are also more Show ESS kennels that take their dogs shooting. These dogs, as Dawn has said, are always the less exaggerated types which does allow them to do what they were bred for.

As I've always said, if you breed to better the breed (which for me would include looking at both the breed standard and the dogs particular field of work), rather than breeding to better your own ego then dog breeds would be far better off IMO! For me the "serious" working people and the "serious" show people are equally to blame in most cases when it comes to breeding poor examples of a particular breed!
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Working all the time. I love the look of working dogs, i personally think they look better than show dogs
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 02:08 PM
For me - in the case of the GSD, it has to be working all the way.

I'm afraid i just don't like the way SOME of the showline gsds are built (for lack of better description)

DOn't get me wrong - some of them are really nice but i'm fairly biased as my lad is working stock.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
What are you trying to say????

LOL Ben does that dooohhh look
Page 6 of 28 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »