View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 12:58 PM
I use them, not for training purposes, but for security purposes, because Izze is very good at slipping off her collar, with a choke she can't. Jo just walks on a reg collar, she doesn't pull or try to escape.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I use a choke chain on my AB. he use to pull constantly. no other collar worked. he no longer pulls and the chain is now very loose when we walk. however as he has a thick neck i would not recommend using this chain on dogs with thin/small necks.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't use them on a toy breed or a breed who had a brittle neck.
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I use different collars/harnesses for different things. When i first had meg she pulled alot and i brought a choker and being inexperianced i put it on the wrong way. I havent used one since and used a halti with her after that.

With my dogs now i use a harness for walks and a flat collar for working.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I have in the past used a choke chain, in fact my old dog wore one as he typical collar, simply because she seemed to prefer it. She would put her hear in herself when you held it out, and she shyed away from typical collars. I can't ever remember her pulling and we just fastened it so even if she did it didn't do anything.
I have used one for Cookie, just because with him being a big dog and him breaking a few of the fasteners on typical collars I though it would be stronger. Now he doesn't pull as much and is often walked on a head collar and harness or a flat collar and harness as a double lead just in case one does break.

So really in both of these cases it could have been over come and not used. My old dog, bless her could have been desenitised to flat collars, but at the time (being 3 when we got her, and 16 when she passed) I just went along with what she was happiest with.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Not read whole thread but as a KC approved GC Test Examiner (gold) I can state the following:

1 If you use the check chain on the dead link it is the same as any other collar.

3 You can take a GC Test in them
I was under the impression that the only collar to be used for any of the GC tests was a flat collar unless it was for a medical reason. Does a choke chain come under the classification for a flat collar or can it only be used on the dead link? Or have I just missed this altogether.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I was under the impression that the only collar to be used for any of the GC tests was a flat collar unless it was for a medical reason. Does a choke chain come under the classification for a flat collar or can it only be used on the dead link? Or have I just missed this altogether.
The only collars that are not allowed to be used in the GCDS are electric collars and prong collars.

Any other collar may be used, whatever the feelings of the examiner; it is very diffciult to get a flat collar to fit safely on some hirsute breeds!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The only collars that are not allowed to be used in the GCDS are electric collars and prong collars.

Any other collar may be used, whatever the feelings of the examiner; it is very diffciult to get a flat collar to fit safely on some hirsute breeds!
In GCDS are harnesses and head collars allowed? Just want to clarify, not sure if you could class them as collars, but as you added electric collars I though I would ask just in case. I originally thought I had read somewhere they were not allowed, but can't seem to find it now.

I'll admit I had to google hirsute! So sometimes a choke chain is best suited for hirsute breeds in your opinion/experience? Or are there suitable/equal/better options?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
In GCDS are harnesses and head collars allowed? Just want to clarify, not sure if you could class them as collars, but as you added electric collars I though I would ask just in case. I originally thought I had read somewhere they were not allowed, but can't seem to find it now.

I'll admit I had to google hirsute! So sometimes a choke chain is best suited for hirsute breeds in your opinion/experience? Or are there suitable/equal/better options?

Harnesses are not allowed unless there is a medical condition. Some examiners allow the tests to be done whilst the dog is wearing a headcollar as long as they have satisfied themselves that the owner can control their dog without one.

I do not. I have the same rules for everyone, that is fair, if some people can control their dogs with a collar then everyone can.

Have you tried getting a flat collar on a Newfie, Rough Collie etc? Some people who show do not want to use a flat collar to prevent damage to coat.

Dogs are not allowed to wear T shirts or any other sort of clothing either.

If you want the complete list of what is permitted and what is not the GCDS Guidelines are available from the KC shop at £3.00
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 11:12 PM
There are so many inconsistencies with the KC tests. Why on Earth does it matter whether or not a dog wears a teeshirt when taking the test?

Also why is one training aid, ie a choke chain, allowed when a headcollar isn't?

It also seems that the examining is inconsistent if one examiner will allow use of equipment when another won't.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
There are so many inconsistencies with the KC tests. Why on Earth does it matter whether or not a dog wears a teeshirt when taking the test?

Also why is one training aid, ie a choke chain, allowed when a headcollar isn't?

It also seems that the examining is inconsistent if one examiner will allow use of equipment when another won't.

Because it can be considered a training aid the same way as toys and treats are.

Because those are the current guidelines.

Hmmm well I think you will find that in most disciplines, awards, competitions etc there is room for individual interpretation.

But, if you do not like the scheme, nobody is forced to participate in it.

It is not perfect, nothing is, including us mere mortals. It is better than nothing and gives people something to work towards.

The scheme has evolved a great deal since its inception in 1992 and no doubt further evolution will occur, like most things in life!
Page 12 of 20 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »