Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Molly has started physiotherapy

As some of you will be aware, Molly, my Westie, has had both cruciates operated on since January this year. All surgeries went to plan with no post operative problems either. She is recovering very, very well and I'm really pleased with her.

Although her progress has been great, I thought it would be a good idea to have her assessed by the physiotherapist at the Glasgow Vet School where she had her surgeries, to see what state she wasin. The vet who signed her off after her post op x-rays said she didn't need it but she could have it if I wanted as she was physically ready now.

Melanie, the physio, was really pleased with her overall condition. She said Molly was a bit tight in her lower back. One of her elbows was also tight but said that could be over compensating on that leg due to the surgeries. She also said one of her muscles, can't remember which, on one of her back legs was quite thick but again, that's probably because of the surgery.

She did some body work on Molly first, then some weaves, then cavaletti poles adjusted to suit Molly and then some step work, before moving on to a wobble board.

She then had 3 short sessions in the aquatic treadmill which she coped really well with and really extended and flexed her legs - the difference to walking out of water was amazing. Melanie went in with her as it was her first time.

Last week was her second time and she did all of the above, with a longer spell on the aquatic treadmill. She went in by herself that time but with a lead attached to the harness.

This afternoon will be Molly's third session. Hopefully it'll go as well as the first.

She said Molly might be tired after the first but she wasn't, she was fine, so she said that indicates a good level of fitness still there even after all her months out of action and post op recovery times.

Really pleased with Molly's progress. She's doing so well and looks great again. The muscle is coming back brilliantly.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Well done Molly it must be a huge relief to you Nicola to see Molly making such a good recovery.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Nicola,
I'm so glad Molly is doing so well. I have tried to follow all the threads on her operations but may have missed some as I've been traveling in UK and also 'other things' have restricted my free time.

But I'm always interested to read about how you are doing up there in Bonny Scotland and I must say you are so fortunate to have the Glasgow Vet School on your door step, living in a rural area as we do it's hard to find good veterinary support.

Any chance of few more pictures of Molly and the gang
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Glad to hear Molly is making good progress, it must be such a relief for you. Hope things keep going well for Molly.

Sometime ago my Lurcher had a McTimoney Chiropractor work on him & it really helped.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Excellent news as Molly's progress . I take my hat off to you (not that I'm wearing one ) to get her physio. Just like humans if a limb (in Molly's case 2 limbs) have been out of action for some time muscles will waste. It is so important to get those muscles flexible again to support the joints and prevent further injury. I hear this all the time from my son (human physio) who is always appalled that hospitals remove plaster casts off broken legs etc and inform the patient that they are fine now He get so many referrals from people who have injured themselves not realising that their muscles will have wasted during the 6-8 weeks in plaster.

The same must be said for dogs too. Good luck with her session this afternoon.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Not only well done to Molly, but also to you, because to get her this far so well is no mean feat.

Good luck with the physio.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Great to hear that Molly is doing so well - hope she continues to improve with the physio.
xx
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Glad molly is doing well . My dog has just started laser therapy on her leg where she had cruciate surgery and its working really well dont know if might be a option for molly also
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2013, 02:05 PM
glad to hear of the progress Molly has made
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

20-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Aw that's great news, Nicola, and hope Molly continues with her progress.

Big cuddles to Molly from me and Loki - and to Roxy as well xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >