Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
I don't see how that's true. If you compare a dog that lives inside, sleeps on it's owners bed at night and sits on their knee while they're watching telly to one who lives in the backgarden and has little to not access to the family, then of course it is 'less of a pet' if that's even the right way to say it, because it's contact with it's owners is much less. I honestly think the connection between a dog who lives continually in the house compared to one who lives continually outside is very different. Especially if you think that the majority of outside dogs are probably working dogs, which aren't usually viewed merely as pets.
yes but there are alot of people who have dogs in the house, who dont sleep on the bed, sometimes only allowed in one or two rooms. how is that any different?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post

what is the difference of this dog, to some of your dogs? who get shut in the kitchen when you go out etc? nothing in my eyes.
The difference as I see it , is your pet dog is in a safe environment, somewhere it can sleep without distractions, it is not placed on alert at all times, on the end of a tether making it feel insecure, your pet is not being used as a means to guard your property, it does not have a long chain at the end of its neck that could cause untold damage or death to said dog.

Now if you had said, what's the difference between your pet being left chained up in the kitchen to the dog in question, I would have to agree, nothing

In your eyes you see no difference, but in mine I have to wonder why if this dog is a much loved pet,(not a working dog) and the dog is well mannered enough to be let loose a couple of times a day along with going on walks with the horses, going to pubs and so on, it seems to be a strange way to treat it , why chain it up to a kennel at all other times , day and night.

If as you say its not allowed in the house, why not build it a purpose built kennel and run (heated) if it has to live outside, what happens when it snows, wet and cold, or extreme heat , where does the dog go then???

So you don`t see any wrong in this rotti being outside chained to a kennel in the depths of winter ?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:40 PM
It depends
I would say that a dog outside all the time except for walks/work those walks would have to be pretty amazing - but at the end of the day if they are just pet then they really are not a pet, its not much of a life for them
A dog with a tiring fufilling job that may be a different matter

TBH this dog does not really sound like a guard dog at all and I would be happier with the idea of a kennel and a run or a secure fenced in area

A dog that is supposed to be being territorial of an area could well get tangled up in a chain if they are charging and bouncing a bit
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Spend a few years on a chain and see if you still think it`s OK?
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvU42ssupFM
or look at these links and see if you still think it`s OK?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The difference as I see it , is your pet dog is in a safe environment, somewhere it can sleep without distractions, it is not placed on alert at all times, on the end of a tether making it feel insecure, your pet is not being used as a means to guard your property, it does not have a long chain at the end of its neck that could cause untold damage or death to said dog.

Now if you had said, what's the difference between your pet being left chained up in the kitchen to the dog in question, I would have to agree, nothing

In your eyes you see no difference, but in mine I have to wonder why if this dog is a much loved pet,(not a working dog) and the dog is well mannered enough to be let loose a couple of times a day along with going on walks with the horses, going to pubs and so on, it seems to be a strange way to treat it , why chain it up to a kennel at the end of the day.

If as you say its not allowed in the house, why not build it a purpose built kennel and run (heated) if it has to live outside, what happens when it snows, wet and cold, or extreme heat , where does the dog go then???

So you don`t see any wrong in this rotti being outside chained to a kennel in the depths of winter ?
like i have said I wouldnt have a dog outside, its not how i would do it, but it works for them and the dog is looked after well and loved. it makes no sense to me why you would have a dog outside, but some people do and they dont love their dogs any less than what i love mine. mine sleep in the house but they are still on alert, and they still wake up and bark when they hear a noise, so theres no difference there. i have no idea what they do with the dog in winter so i can not comment. i will ask my friend and see what they do during cold weather, before we all start judging there.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:42 PM
yes but there are alot of people who have dogs in the house, who dont sleep on the bed, sometimes only allowed in one or two rooms. how is that any different?
It's different because dogs that live inside have near enough constant access to their family when their family is in the house, because they share a space. I don't think a dog outside is necessarily a bad thing, but I do think that there IS a difference in terms of the relationship a solely outdoors dog will have with it's owners conpared to an indoor dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
It's different because dogs that live inside have near enough constant access to their family when their family is in the house, because they share a space. I don't think a dog outside is necessarily a bad thing, but I do think that there IS a difference in terms of the relationship a solely outdoors dog will have with it's owners conpared to an indoor dog.
Not always. My friend has a dog who isn't allowed anywhere except in the tiny kitchen and equally tiny yard. The family spend next to no time in the kitchen and when she's cooking the dog is out in the yard. He isn't walked, isn't played with, isn't trained and is just basically ignored except to give him food and water and let him out. When we were kids the dog her family had was treated the same way.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Spend a few years on a chain and see if you still think it`s OK?
http://www.dogsdeservebetter.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvU42ssupFM
or look at these links and see if you still think it`s OK?
i dont understand the point of those links.. like ive said her dog isnt constantly chained.. it doesnt spend a fat lot of time on the chain anyway... and the things it says at the end are bit of a sweeping statement!

"dogs suffer from sporadic feedings and inadequate veterinary care" the dog is fed twice a day and has no access to anything else to eat. and the second they think something wrong she is at the vets. she is also insured and up to date with all her vaccinations, and is spayed.

"during extreme weather these dogs usually have no access to shelter" this dog does.

"a dog kept alone or in one spot for hours days months or even years suffers psychological damage" that may be, but this dog isnt tied in one spot constantly, she is out in fields and around the yard, with cows and horses. she goes on regular long walks and spends time with her family. you could say the same for people who crate their dogs constantly at home.

"an otherwise friendly docile dog when kept continuously chained becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious and aggressive" like i have said this dog is not anxious, aggressive or unhappy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2012, 03:53 PM
like i have said I wouldnt have a dog outside, its not how i would do it, but it works for them and the dog is looked after well and loved. it makes no sense to me why you would have a dog outside, but some people do and they dont love their dogs any less than what i love mine. mine sleep in the house but they are still on alert, and they still wake up and bark when they hear a noise, so theres no difference there. i have no idea what they do with the dog in winter so i can not comment. i will ask my friend and see what they do during cold weather, before we all start judging there.
then maybe you should not have posted on how they keep their Rotti, if you did not want negative replies.

You said in your first post, you don't see the way they keep their dog as wrong, that s why I asked the question, what do they do in inclement weather, it snot judging , its a question.

You dogs being alert in the house is a completely different scenario to one being tied up on the end of a chain outside, the outside dog can become aggressive due to being restricted , it could get hurt , attacked by the person it is barking at, it could injure itself on the end of the chain, your dogs yapping at a noise they hear going by is not the same, they are safe in the house, not able to injure themselves or the passer by.

So maybe you aught to ask , what they do in the winter, does the poor dog have to live in the snow with no heating chained up to the end of a rope with only a kennel to shelter from.

If so, do you still think this is an OK way to keep their much loved pet???
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
two questions
what is the difference between being shut in a run or clipped on a chain?
when at work my dogs are tied up if they cant come with me,
normally in the feed isle of the cow shed when i shut them in a pen they went mad pacing and barking all the time.
second, what is the difference between this dog and the working sheep dogs in kennels that you all seem fine with?
no matter what reason the people have a dog for (work or pet) the dog thinks about it in the same way, a pet dog that likes being out side is no different than a working dog kept outside,
IMO a well cared for out side dog is a million times better than a bord underwalked inside pet
Page 9 of 50 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »