Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-01-2006, 10:00 AM

An old hobby revisited...

When I were a lad, I used to be into model aircraft. At work, there's a guy who flies free flight gliders in competitions. Well, he got me interested enough to have a go at building and flying a glider. I'm not going to compete, just have a bit of fun with it.

Here's a couple of pics. It's a West Wings Merlin. Supposedly a nice simple beginner's glider. Dunno about that! It certainly tested my rusty building skills. First pic is half built, second is with the paint still a bit sticky...
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-01-06_1536.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	1892   Click image for larger version

Name:	19-01-06_0858.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1893  
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Great thing to restart! I used to watch people flying gliders when I was ickle
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Well done Rich - that's really excellent

I used to make models when I was a teen for a toy store, wasn't particularly good at it, but as you say it's quite enjoyable, and a good challenge for the mind, not to mention the frustation involved with it

Well done, it really looks great, when are you going to take it for a test drive?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with the way it looks, should be great when I get a chance to fly her properly! Had a couple of test glides in the back garden just now, looks promising! Unfortunately, it's far too windy to take her out in a field and have a good go...