Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:52 AM

stopping the food pinching-help please

Some of you may have read the threads regarding Fudge`s various escapades regarding food stealing . My question is how do I stop her from doing this? She does not attempt to take any food whilst we are present and will sit and leave a treat until she is told she can have have it.She does not even eat her own food quickly when it is in her dish.

She knows she should not be doing it as it is her guilty look that prompts me to investigate further.

The food she has taken has been either left in her reach which is easy to solve as that was my fault, but her latest haul was out of the fridge. i would like her to learn that this is a no go zone. Any ideas?
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-03-2007, 10:18 AM
I saw on telly once that they set up a video camera and a device to make a loud noise and waited for the dog to try and steal the food and set the noise off, if its anything like one of our dogs they try to get to the food as soon as you leave the house.

Seemed to work.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:54 AM
They are so crafty aren't they!
Child locks on the fridge and cupboards will stop her in her tracks.
Willow loves to counter surf when we aren't in the room, yet wouldn't even glance that way when we are there.... yet she has never been told off about it. They just know to wait till you're out of sight! The kids learnt fast to put things away or she'd eat them, just like I always warned them.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I was hoping to avoid a fridge lock. It seems we have just taken all gates/locks off after years of kiddy proofing. we are already back to stair gates and locks on cupboards.....
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:46 PM
What my trainer recommended to someone who's dog used to steal off the counter was to have empty drinks cans with pebbles in them so they are noisy, tied together with string and attached to the food. When the dog tried to steal the food the cans came crashing down. This way the dog associates the negative response to the food and not you! Which is why dogs steal when you aren't there!
You could try the same in the fridge, tie cans to the fridge door or balance them on top so when the door is opened the cans come crashing down. You'd probably have to do it for a good few weeks but it may work.
Becky
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks Becky, might well try that one.Sounds a good plan.