View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Come one guys, think about this logically. Rescue groups deal with hundreds of dogs and thus hundreds of adoptions a year. They have to do home checkss and vet checks and thorough questionaires, each potential adopters screening process already takes several hours on the part of the agency. I know, I have been an adoption screener. Animal Welfare groups have blanket policies like this for a reason. They can't in the best interest of the animal, just "go with their gut" when an adopter falls outside the guidelines.

How do you, with your entire animals wanting to adopt, plan to prove, unequiviacally to the agency, that you will not have an unwanted litter. You can't. It isn't possible. The only way to guarantee that is if your dogs are all spayed and neutered. Agencies must also take into account the difficulty some animals have in homes with entire animals. Hormones run high, animals fight. The adoption of say a spayed bitch, is more likely to fail if placed in a home with an unspayed bitch than another spayed bitch. Instances of fighting among entire animals is higher.

In Texas, I was denied a rescue dog because my home was not fenced. This is a policy put into place by the agency to protect the dogs. Just because I am a fantastic home, and am an exception to the rule (as I walk my dogs, don't let them wander) doesn't mean I expect this group to just "trust me on that" I'm sure the dog I was interested in found a perfectly lovely home with a fence and caring owners. No harm done.

Don't take these policies as a slight to you as a pet owner. They aren't saying no to you because you are bad pet owners, they are saying no to you because of years of dealing with other bad pet owners with intact animals. Try to be a little understanding.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Come one guys, think about this logically. Rescue groups deal with hundreds of dogs and thus hundreds of adoptions a year. They have to do home checkss and vet checks and thorough questionaires, each potential adopters screening process already takes several hours on the part of the agency. I know, I have been an adoption screener. Animal Welfare groups have blanket policies like this for a reason. They can't in the best interest of the animal, just "go with their gut" when an adopter falls outside the guidelines.

How do you, with your entire animals wanting to adopt, plan to prove, unequiviacally to the agency, that you will not have an unwanted litter. You can't. It isn't possible. The only way to guarantee that is if your dogs are all spayed and neutered. Agencies must also take into account the difficulty some animals have in homes with entire animals. Hormones run high, animals fight. The adoption of say a spayed bitch, is more likely to fail if placed in a home with an unspayed bitch than another spayed bitch. Instances of fighting among entire animals is higher.

In Texas, I was denied a rescue dog because my home was not fenced. This is a policy put into place by the agency to protect the dogs. Just because I am a fantastic home, and am an exception to the rule (as I walk my dogs, don't let them wander) doesn't mean I expect this group to just "trust me on that" I'm sure the dog I was interested in found a perfectly lovely home with a fence and caring owners. No harm done.

Don't take these policies as a slight to you as a pet owner. They aren't saying no to you because you are bad pet owners, they are saying no to you because of years of dealing with other bad pet owners with intact animals. Try to be a little understanding.
I understand where your coming from,but surely if the one from rescue is neutered and of the same sex as one entire dog on the premises,then there should be no grounds to refuse the rescue a chance of a home,after all there will be no accidental litters will there.

If i was trying to adopt a dog from rescue and they told me to have mine neutered i wouldn't be happy and i would go elsewhere.I show my dogs,brought from responsible breeders and i'm sorry but the decision to neuter lies with me not rescue.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I dont see why we should all be branded as bad owners by the rescues
guilty before innocent, i dont think so.

maybe their adoption processes aren't good enough and should be reviewed.

there are alot of people who have multi dog/gender households and never have a problem, why should they be penalised?

each household is different and generalising them is not on,
thats where home visits should take into account more than just fencing, size of house, and welfare needs etc.

a good breeder will want to know more than what rescues do, maybe they should take note from breeders.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 08:45 PM
I agree with Lovezois. Surely the dogs would be better going to a loving home with other dogs than kept in rescue because they are laying down the law.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:14 PM
ahhhh...will try again!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:21 PM
How do you, with your entire animals wanting to adopt, plan to prove, unequiviacally to the agency, that you will not have an unwanted litter. You can't. .
YES you can...as long as the rescue is speyed/neutered whats the problem??
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:23 PM
. Agencies must also take into account the difficulty some animals have in homes with entire animals. Hormones run high, animals fight. The adoption of say a spayed bitch, is more likely to fail if placed in a home with an unspayed bitch than another spayed bitch. Instances of fighting among entire animals is higher.
Would like to see the figures that substansiate this....I have 3 entire males...no problems.2 speyed bitches...one has just been rehomed due to dog on dog aggression!
I know many many people who keep mixed and same sex households of unneutered/speyed dogs with no problems.I also know many aggressive neutered/speyed animals.
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:24 PM

Agree 100%

Has anyone thought too Ring a Rescue that has this policy to ask why ???? Might not be so stupid once you know!!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Thats exactly what they are....good owners are being judged on the merits of bad ones....animals are being denied good caring homes because these people are blinkered and refuse to judge each case individually
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
Agree 100%

Has anyone thought too Ring a Rescue that has this policy to ask why ???? Might not be so stupid once you know!!
Yep..and they said because of unwanted litters, and i was after a spayed bitch

Obviously they can afford to keep their dogs. so be it
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >