Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Choosing a Pup

Im posting this for my sis in law, as this is one of the things I have no clue about (never had a pup as an adult, mine are all rescues)

Anyway, the litter that she was waiting for, were born on Saturday, they have decided that they would like a boy (works for us, Kerrie prefers boys!) the chocolate one is gone, so they are left with a choice of 5/6 boys. They are first time dog owners and are just looking for a nice family pet. So, how do they choose?

Any help much apppreciated
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:47 AM
When we first saw Louie's litter - my OH picked the biggest pup with the biggest white flash - and also because he came to him straight away (He's now a mummy's boy )

I think she should wait until they are about 5-8 weeks old before she decides - that way the personality comes out more... but if she has to choose now - then I'd say she has pot luck what she gets - I'm guessing they are labs? (with the chocolate)

Is the litter from working/show or pet stock? Definitely steer her away from working stock - it's difficult having just half a working stock puppy..

Remind her - it's how you bring them up that changes whether they will be good pets or not.

Tell her I said good luck with her decision
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Really the breeder should assist in this. They should have an idea of the personality of the pups (although, obviously personality's won't be clear at days old -- 5 weeks + is usually a good time to pick) and help match them to the right owners. I think this is particularly crucial with first time dog owners who won't know what they are looking for.

I'd be a little skeptical if the breeder is letting them pick a pup a only days old...
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 09:59 AM
When we first saw Louie's litter - my OH picked the biggest pup with the biggest white flash - and also because he came to him straight away (He's now a mummy's boy )

hehehe...always the way!

I think she should wait until they are about 5-8 weeks old before she decides - that way the personality comes out more... but if she has to choose now - then I'd say she has pot luck what she gets - I'm guessing they are labs? (with the chocolate)

well, she is going to see them in a couple of weeks. The breeder insists that they do an ante natal course with her. They arent labs, not going to say what they are, as I will get shouted at . But the litter/breeder/breed have been very well researched.
Is the litter from working/show or pet stock? Definitely steer her away from working stock - it's difficult having just half a working stock puppy..
they are bred as pets, the dog and bitch are both health tested (and 3 gens back) will have a "pedigree too" However they know that this particular breed will need a lot of work/training and will be full of brains!

Remind her - it's how you bring them up that changes whether they will be good pets or not.
Oh that bit we have covered, I think I may have drowned them with a sea of info(and Smokeybears training pieces) they have read Gwen Baileys Puppy book, and I have a few other bits for them to help with the puppy training

Its making me broody...28 and never had a puppy!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Really the breeder should assist in this. They should have an idea of the personality of the pups (although, obviously personality's won't be clear at days old -- 5 weeks + is usually a good time to pick) and help match them to the right owners. I think this is particularly crucial with first time dog owners who won't know what they are looking for.

I'd be a little skeptical if the breeder is letting them pick a pup a only days old...

oh I think the breeder will. they dont have to make a choice right now, just whether they want a boy or girl.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post

hehehe...always the way!

well, she is going to see them in a couple of weeks. The breeder insists that they do an ante natal course with her. They arent labs, not going to say what they are, as I will get shouted at . But the litter/breeder/breed have been very well researched.
they are bred as pets, the dog and bitch are both health tested (and 3 gens back) will have a "pedigree too" However they know that this particular breed will need a lot of work/training and will be full of brains!

Oh that bit we have covered, I think I may have drowned them with a sea of info(and Smokeybears training pieces) they have read Gwen Baileys Puppy book, and I have a few other bits for them to help with the puppy training

Its making me broody...28 and never had a puppy!
C'mon I wanna know the breed - pm me I won't tell.

I had my puppy fix yesterday and we are thinking another dog but don't know whether to go for a pup or for an older dog (both would be rescues) hence my threads on here lol... I think I'm being steered away from the pups though..even though I don't think Louie is too bad (but thats off topic now lol)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I think I would be advised by the breeder.

They can choose boy or girl, but the breeder should the the right person to place the rigth temperament pup in their home.

I have a friend who only allows her new owners to only pick sex , after that she places pups to owners.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:33 AM
SLB you have pm!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Well I assume we are talking about a 'doodle' or a 'poo'

For me it depends. If they are all the same colour and so nothing to really pick them out by looks wise,then I go by instnct and let us choose each other, if that makes sense?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Well I assume we are talking about a 'doodle' or a 'poo'

For me it depends. If they are all the same colour and so nothing to really pick them out by looks wise,then I go by instnct and let us choose each other, if that makes sense?
shhhhhhhhhhh...its a seekrit!

http://www.annetteslabradoodles.co.u...ng-our-puppies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >