Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2010, 05:05 AM

Choosing a Vet?

Only reason I am asking is because my friend Sara just moved away and she owns 3 dogs , 2labs and a border collie...

And she had asked me how does she choose a vet because she doesnt want just anyone and I understand that. When she lived here I suggested my vet because he is very good with the animals and he is reputable here everyone prefers him, my family and i have been going to him for 10 plus yrs. But any suggestions to help my friend choose a vet?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Could your friend's previous vet not recommend someone in her new area? Or maybe there is a website that lists reputable vets in the US with whatever services they provide? (Just guessing!)

Alternatively, she could visit sugeries in her local area and see for herself. She'll get a feel for the place and the vets who work there then too rather than just going off what someone else says.

Alternatively, is your friend moving many miles away? If not, she could stay with the vet she already has. I've moved house 4 times since being an adult and I made the decision to stay with the same vet surgery regardless.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Laura xx
Browndogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Does your friend know anybody inthe area she's going to that could recommend a vet? I wasn't happy with my last vet and changed to one recommended by several friends and I'm glad that I did.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I think if your friend uses some common sense she will find the right vet for her dogs
GSDUK
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-04-2010, 10:38 AM
deleted as posted twice when I edited it.Content on post below.
GSDUK
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-04-2010, 10:38 AM
You recommend your vet so that's one good thing for your friend. She could also speak with other local dog owners when out walking, explain she has just moved to the area and see which vet they recommend.
As with forums, most dog walkers are only too pleased to talk about their dogs...she will soon have a list to choose from.
She could then go and take a look at each vet practice...ask to look round, meet the vets etc.....get a "feel" for the place.
Avoid any vet that seems to have something to hide...

Dave