register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bon
Almost a Veteran

21-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I buy Brewer's Yeast tablets from the Drugstore and put them in her dog food, dogs seem to love the taste of it. I add fresh garlic to the glop I make for Zoi to add to her kibble. When the glop if done cooking and cool I add chopped garlic.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Hmm I think I'm going to buy some brewers yeast and garlic in pill form and give her that

Does it say how many brewers yeast she is supposed to have, and is it the same as people would eat?

Jeanette
Bon
Almost a Veteran

23-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Look what I found, The Flea Forum:http://www.extendedyears.com/forum/fleamess/4204.html

Try brewers yeast(powdered) available by the bag at any health food store- put it in your pet's food(about 1 tsp for a cat, adjust accordingly for the size of your pet), and apply it to your pet's fur-start from the head down(watch the eyes and ears)- that way the fleas are chased to the tail and don't have a chance to lodge in the ears - vacumning regularly will vacumn up any fleas that drop off. The essence of brewers yeast gets in the blood stream and when the fleas try to bite they are repelled and, when applied to the fur ,they are repelled before they even get a chance to bite. It's very effective, non-toxic and full of healthy B- vitamins if the pet licks it off. If your pet doesn't like the brewers yeast in its food- try the tablet form of brewers yeast. Also sprinkle brewers yeast on your pet's bedding as a preventative measure.
Link For Main Flea Forum:http://www.extendedyears.com/forum/30111.html
Bon
Almost a Veteran

23-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I put a Brewer's Yeast tablet in Zoi's supper and it is 500mg. I find that is enough with the fresh garlic. Plus you can buy Brewer's Yeast with garlic.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

23-06-2004, 11:16 PM
I crush/finely chop a clove of fresh garlic for each of my dogs, and add it to their food, (nature diet and a complete mixed together) add a splash of water, mix it round and they wolf it down... maybe I've got strange dogs??

libs
Bon
Almost a Veteran

23-06-2004, 11:18 PM
This looks like a good site for good tips on getting rid of fleas.

A Word On Fleas: http://k9haven.org/flea.html
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi Bellaluna as Roxy and the others say garlic is good (capsules from health food store as pure garlic oil as possible) .I will not use frontline or other similar things having heard some disturbing things about the effects they have on the central nervous systems of some dogs. Amy is prone to severe alergic reactions anway so I prefer not to risk it. I never have a problem with fleas, as well as garlic I buy pure Tea Tree oil from the health food shop and put a couple of drops on the grooming brush then brush ever couple of days before the main daily walk. It smells a bit strong but not unpleasant and the walk in the air dispells most of the odour. I also put a little T Tree in the final rinse when washing Amy's dog blanket
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Well I forgot again I was actually supposed to buy brewers yeast and garlic "pills", I'll try to remember.....

Thanks all
Bon
Almost a Veteran

04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Click the link for the rest of the story: http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospot.html

BY JAMES TERBUSH

Six months ago, my family adopted a one and a half year old Dalmatian,

named Hamish. He had been in a kill shelter in Connecticut, and was

rescued just one day before he was scheduled to be destroyed.

To protect him from fleas and ticks,

we chose Frontline - a liquid that is

applied to the dog's back. It gave

us peace of mind knowing that he

had this protection, but it had to be

purchased from a veterinarian and

was quite expensive.

One day while shopping, we came

across an over-the-counter product,

called Bio Spot Flea & Tick Control

(by Farnam Pet Products). It looked

similar to the Frontline product, but it was much cheaper, so we decided to try it. The Bio Spot seemed to work just as well as Frontline, so we used it again six weeks later.

An hour after applying the Bio Spot, we found Hamish thrashing about on the ground. His body was completely stiff. His head was raised in the air, and his jaws were opened wide. A thick foamy saliva was spewing from his mouth. Horrified, I tried to determine if something was stuck in his throat. His windpipe was clear, but he was not breathing. His eyes began to roll back in his head. He was dying and we did not know what to do to save him! We made a desperate call to our veterinarian.

After a few minutes, Hamish slowly began to recover. We had just witnessed something we had never seen before - a grand mal (severe) seizure. Our veterinarian said that a blood test might help to find the cause, and mentioned the possibility of epilepsy. By the afternoon, Hamish looked much better, but that night he endured three more grand mal seizures.

Why would a healthy dog have four grand mal seizures within twenty hours? I searched the Internet for information on epilepsy, and read that if seizures begin to occur frequently, the animal may have to be euthanized! We would not know the results of the blood test for a week, but we had a feeling it was not epilepsy, and wondered if the seizures were caused by the Bio Spot.

It seemed unlikely that Bio Spot could have caused the seizures because we had used it (same batch) just six weeks earlier with no adverse effects. Also, the packaging did not list seizures as a possible adverse reaction (it listed only lethargy, itchiness, redness, rash, hair discoloration, or hair loss).

Just in case the seizures were caused by the Bio Spot, we thoroughly washed Hamish to remove as much of it as possible, and took him to our veterinarian for a physical exam and blood test. The exam showed that everything was normal, and the blood test revealed no internal problems. Our veterinarian could not rule out Bio Spot as the cause of the seizures.

Hamish has not had any seizures since the Bio Spot was thoroughly washed off three weeks ago, and appears to be in good health. However, we worry about irrepairable damage that may have been done to his neurological system, and wonder if short-term exposure to the chemicals in BioSpot will cause any long-term health problems.[/url]
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2004, 12:30 PM
http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospot.html
However, we worry about irrepairable damage that may have been done to his neurological system, and wonder if short-term exposure to the
chemicals in BioSpot will cause any long-term health problems.[/url][/quote]

Bon that is terrible and most interesting As you will see in my earlier post Amy has allergy problems, while on holiday one year she went into anaphalyatic shock we never found the cause ( a bite or plant the vet thought) she also has a reaction to vac boosters so I steer clear of anything that might cause a problem. There was a programme on TV that showed some dogs had died after being given flea drops and there has also been a big thing here about sheep farmers being affected by sheep dip,a similar product I understand. I don't think you need to worry too much Bon If Hamish survived whatever it was and does not display any ill effects I would think he would be ok. It does make you think though doesn't it? I know maybe 90% of the time a product will be ok but there are always a few exceptiond to the rule I hope Hamish continues to do well.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >