Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 04:14 PM

Anyone use 'Outpost'? Need help!

Hiya, we were recommended to use outpost as a good firewall and yes, it does seem to do the job well.

Trouble is since downloading it, I now cannot post the little smiley icons anymore. Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this please?

Alternatively can anyone recommend an alternative firewall that is good but doesn't interfere with stuff like posting these?

Help would be much appreciated - I feel naked posting without my smilies on!!!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Anne Marie, if you have windows Xp that includes a firewall which should do what you need, also if you have a Anti Virus software on your PC that sometimes includes a firewall
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Ozzymom it'll have something to do with your settings in your firewall i don't use that type myself i use nortons internet security 2003 + 1 hardware firewall. i will have a look at your user manual to see if i can see anyhting that might help.

Just on more thing is your software upto date since you just installed it cause their might be a fix for what your describing.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks all, will try and get it sorted. I don't have the manual as it was just a free download. Have tried to look at the help section it has, but it is sooo complicated!!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

22-09-2005, 09:58 AM
It may be to do with an 'advert' setting, as they tend to think 'animations' are adverts.

see if there is such a setting and turn it off?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Posting smilies in the 'normal' mode requires Javascript (that's right isn't it Azz). If so, it is controlled under 'Active Content Filtering'.

If you look at this page, you can see how to add a site to the list and change how the firewall behaves whilst visiting the site.

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/guide...ve_content.htm

Add www.dogweb.co.uk to the list. With www.dogweb.co.uk highlighted in the left-hand section, go down the list in the right-hand section and Allow Cookies and Allow JavaScript and VB Scripts.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Ohhhhh thanks so much - you are clever!!!! I will go and give it a try and let you know how I got on!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:50 PM
:smt026 IT WORKED!!!!! HUGE THANKS FOR THAT! :smt003 :smt023 :smt041

As you can tell I am chuffed!!!
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Glad it worked.

If you have other sites that cause problems, they probably use Javascript, so you might need to do the same with those - but only do it on sites you trust, like this one