Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 10:38 AM

What do you say?!

We were walking today and had Tango onlead as there were a few dogs around (she doesn't like macho males but still has to go say hi... ) Anyway a small terrier type came up to us (the owner was talking to another owner)...the other dogs were a fair distance away and started sniffing her....we stood still for a while and Tango ignored him after an initial sniff, she seems to think some dogs just aren't worth it!
Anyway, after 5 minutes of it we started to walk slowly again...dog followed...we carried on...dog followed. After 10 minutes we heard the owner shout...and at this point we were a bit peed off so carried on walking. Eventually (after a bit of air kong throwing on another part of the park which is screened...so the owner wouldn't have been able to see her dog...) I took Tangos lead and was about to frogmarch her down to the owner...with this dog STILL sniffing her bits...the owner appreared She said 'sorry' and chased her dog round Tango trying to get the lead on.... as she said 'what are we going to do with you?' to him....
I have to admit I was pretty speechless.....so I didn't say anything at all. Her dog was with us for at least 10/15 minutes.....and was totally out of her sight for a some of that time. What do you say????
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Not a lot, in situations like that.. there is no point, as no matter what you say to her, it will fall on deaf ears.

At least Tango was a good girl and acted like a lady ...ignoring the attention of an unwanted admirer
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I'd be tempted to tell her to try and teach recall properly, although, as Jackie says - it would probably fall on deaf ears!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd have answered 'take him to training classes - you might learn something too'

(well, no, I wouldn't've actually said that, but I would've been thinking it )
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I would be so worried if Ollie was out of my sight.
When he was younger he was always chasing off after other dogs and Gorden or I would have to leg it across the field to retrieve him and apologise. After having this a couple of times he went on a harness and long line he now doesn't chase off after other dogs he sits lays or waits patiently to see if he knows them if he does I allow him to go play. He isn't really interested in dogs he hasn't met before now. He still wears a harness and long line just in case he does decide to have a mad moment. Annoying thing is it seems it is only me that worries about him annoying other people or other dogs. Others seem to think its fine to let their dogs run amok.
When they moan I tell them about long lines and harnesses and they have an excuse for not trying it so I tend not to bother now.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I've had this happen a number of times. Could have easily stolen a lot of dogs, lol!! I dont get owners that just let their dogs disapear for 15 minutes!!......idiots quite frankly!!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I get that ALL. THE. TIME. Drives me nuts. Some people just don't care much about their dogs and/or like to shift the blame on the other person. When we get dogs following us, we get all kinds of excuses like...

Them: "Oh, he thinks your dog is a bitch in season."
Me: "Actually, he is a male."

Them: "He hardly ever does that. It must be something about your dog."

Them: "He only ever does that to Labradors." etc. etc.

It's never "I'm sorry my dog is being a nuisance".

There is not a lot you can do really, apart from shout at them to come and get their dog.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Not much you can say i'm afraid, at least Tango was nice about it. This happens all the time to us as well but Cassie is not so forgiving and will snap at them. This then makes US look like the bad guys.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I am never amazed these days by fellow dogs walkers. We are pretty lucky these days though. Where we regularly walk people are pretty nice and the 'regulars' have a bit of an unwritten rule, ref giving space etc to other dog walkers xxxxxx Of course you always get the odd one........but that is people for you ........
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
What do you say????
It's not printable........

x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >