View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:30 PM
My dogs recall is not iffy as I have said.
But if you had the excellent recall like you said, then you could have called your dog off the jogger he was chasing. Your dog didn't recall, which would suggest to me that the recall needs work. There is nothing wrong with that -- no dog has the 'perfect' recall. How many people can honestly call their dog away from every distraction, no matter how tempting? not many, which is why management (putting a dog back on lead when facing with a tempting distraction) is sometimes the best policy. I don't think I (and others) who suggested putting your dog on lead around joggers were being 'judgmental', just practical. I know someone who's Lab doesn't like cyclists -- he had an incident with one as a pup and turned his fear into fear barking. They tried working on the problem through de-sensitization, which worked, but as a safely net they clip the dog back on lead when they see a cyclist coming up ahead. Dog is under control, cyclist goes by, dog can be let off again - everyone is happy.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:00 PM
This is 'the partner' writing.
I always hold on to the dogs when I see cyclists or runners just in case(any dog could chase). I thought the runner was far away enough to let them go. Obviously I was wrong. Brinley is more protective of me so whether this was the cause or thrill of the chase I do not know. I am responsible so I do put him on a lead when I see potential for trouble. I am always on the lookout and think that the problem stems from him not being distracted with a ball. I will note this point and look for ways to improve the situation. I defy anyone to claim their dog has perfect recall once the run/chase mode has kicked in. Keeping him on the lead at all times will not help him exercise and could make him more hyper. Please note we intend to use all means available to prevent this happening again as we do love our dogs very much. My partner has never had a problem when out with the dogs so attacking her when she was seeking advice seems to me like some of you are having a bad day and needed a whipping post. Thankyou for all the possitve comments.
The other half
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Why are people saying the dog should have been on lead as the jogger went past? Surely if you have never had a problem before, then they would have no need to re-lead the dog?
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 05:29 PM
thank you, at last someone who understands.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
My dogs recall is not iffy as I have said.I'm sorry my dog is not perfect but I can assure you we are responsible, I wish that I had not posted on here now I can see why others have said the same, I asked for advice, and have had some ideas to work with but as I said I don't need to be lectured, I think it must be my training as a Social Worker, I was taught to be as non judgemental as possible, sometimes I am too generous and think other people are also going to be non judgemental, my mistake...
But you yourself are the one who said your dog has less recall and general training response when with your partner, which is when this incident occurred

As for judgementality, it was you whom decided to come on here to ask advice regarding your dog being aggressive to a jogger. Therefore, everyone, as has been asked, has given plenty of good advice, include the obviously sensible suggestion of putting him on the lead around joggers until the problem is sorted.

It was whom judged us, simply because you dont like hearing what you dont want to hear - you have been quite rude actually.
I do also find it ironic you talk about your 'non-judgmental social worker skills' when you make statements that Bryn might have had a go at the jogger because he is ugly etc?

This is 'the partner' writing.
I always hold on to the dogs when I see cyclists or runners just in case(any dog could chase). I thought the runner was far away enough to let them go. Obviously I was wrong. Brinley is more protective of me so whether this was the cause or thrill of the chase I do not know. I am responsible so I do put him on a lead when I see potential for trouble. I am always on the lookout and think that the problem stems from him not being distracted with a ball. I will note this point and look for ways to improve the situation. I defy anyone to claim their dog has perfect recall once the run/chase mode has kicked in. Keeping him on the lead at all times will not help him exercise and could make him more hyper. Please note we intend to use all means available to prevent this happening again as we do love our dogs very much. My partner has never had a problem when out with the dogs so attacking her when she was seeking advice seems to me like some of you are having a bad day and needed a whipping post. Thankyou for all the possitve comments.
The other half
Hello partner, nice to hear from you.
No one doubted you both show some good responsibility and care with your dogs, its just the issue of refusing to accept he should be on-lead when you see joggers.
We have listed several reasons, several times, why.
One major reason being your own phrase i have highlighted.
You both admit Bryn had the problem with the jogger for a while, and barked at strangers, and is over-protective of yourself, so the incident with the jogger isnt the problem, its the latest symptom of the problem.
As you know Bryn has this problem, but dont know why, it is only right and proper you put him on the lead around joggers until it's sorted.
Any good trainer and behaviourist would tell you the same.
If only for Bryn's sake, due to the law.

Their must have been changes in Bryn when he saw this jogger, so he must have been giving off some signs, otherwise, logically, you wouldnt know he has been having a problem with the jogger for a while.
No one has said your dog will get less exercise, we have said put him on the lead where and when there is a problem, and if you use a long 20 foot line, he can still run around getting plenty of exercise.
I would stress contacting the organisations from earlier.

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Why are people saying the dog should have been on lead as the jogger went past? Surely if you have never had a problem before, then they would have no need to re-lead the dog?
No on has said this.
They have said Bryn should NOW be on the lead around joggers, as he has now attacked a jogger under the law.
And there was a problem before, the OP has said so, so all these elements are connnected.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Great post Krusewalker...if that doesn't clear it up I don't know what will!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Excellent post Krusewalker...pretty much what I was thinking.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
But you yourself are the one who said your dog has less recall and general training response when with your partner, which is when this incident occurred

As for judgementality, it was you whom decided to come on here to ask advice regarding your dog being aggressive to a jogger. Therefore, everyone, as has been asked, has given plenty of good advice, include the obviously sensible suggestion of putting him on the lead around joggers until the problem is sorted.

It was whom judged us, simply because you dont like hearing what you dont want to hear - you have been quite rude actually.
I do also find it ironic you talk about your 'non-judgmental social worker skills' when you make statements that Bryn might have had a go at the jogger because he is ugly etc?

Hello partner, nice to hear from you.
No one doubted you both show some good responsibility and care with your dogs, its just the issue of refusing to accept he should be on-lead when you see joggers.
We have listed several reasons, several times, why.
One major reason being your own phrase i have highlighted.
You both admit Bryn had the problem with the jogger for a while, and barked at strangers, and is over-protective of yourself, so the incident with the jogger isnt the problem, its the latest symptom of the problem.
As you know Bryn has this problem, but dont know why, it is only right and proper you put him on the lead around joggers until it's sorted.
Any good trainer and behaviourist would tell you the same.
If only for Bryn's sake, due to the law.

Their must have been changes in Bryn when he saw this jogger, so he must have been giving off some signs, otherwise, logically, you wouldnt know he has been having a problem with the jogger for a while.
No one has said your dog will get less exercise, we have said put him on the lead where and when there is a problem, and if you use a long 20 foot line, he can still run around getting plenty of exercise.
I would stress contacting the organisations from earlier.

No on has said this.
They have said Bryn should NOW be on the lead around joggers, as he has now attacked a jogger under the law.
And there was a problem before, the OP has said so, so all these elements are connnected.
(partner writing again)
Brin does have good recall with me. He is just more protective around me. I have not said I will not leash him around joggers. Please re-read my thread. I will leash him if I feel he may be a threat to someone and will be more vigilant for any possible incidents.
We just want to cure the problem not just prevent it even though this is the short term solution.
Brin has not been aggressive to the jogger before but looked wary when he ran passed me. WHILE I WAS HOLDING BOTH DOGS as he ran past.
Your insult to my partner about her being judgemental is wrong. I gave an accurate discription of the jogger to her and she was being flippant in her reference to this. Sorry it went over your head but do not take it out of context to insult her with plus all your backers jumping on the bandwagon to put the knife in. we just wanted constructive advice from fellow doglovers not to be attacked for admitting a problem and trying to get as much help as possible.
So everyone calm down for goodness sake. Brin is a beautiful boy and I realize that as the human we have a duty of care for him and we are trying our best. I just hope you don't find yourself in similar circumstances and need advice. But then some of you seem to know it all and must have perfect pets. Lucky guys. I would never seek advice on here again because of the reaction so if my partner seems defensive in her comments then be honest with yourselves an do not be so self righteous.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 08:38 PM
we are not taking our dogs to the park and keeping them on leads at all times.
My dogs recall is not iffy as I have said.I'm sorry my dog is not perfect but I can assure you we are responsible, I wish that I had not posted on here now I can see why others have said the same, I asked for advice, and have had some ideas to work with but as I said I don't need to be lectured, I think it must be my training as a Social Worker, I was taught to be as non judgemental as possible, sometimes I am too generous and think other people are also going to be non judgemental, my mistake...

The point people are trying to make it that, it does not matter if this is a one off or not...

It only takes one jogger to see your dog as dangerous ,to report him.. and under the DDA act, he will be seem as "out of control"

You came and asked for advice , and you have been given it.

Basically , you must ensure this does not happen again..you got off lucky this time, the jogger did not report your dog.

And no amount of you saying it has never happend before will save him....( if the issue is taken further)

It happens to us all, at one time or another (with mine it is bikes) but we learn and count our blessings, and we make sure it does not happen again,

You have found out that he might like to chase a jogger or two, so to ensure it never happens again , it would be beneficial for now, to put him back on the lead when you see one coming.. and in the mean time work on his recall..

You may feel justified to announce that you are not going to walk your dog son lead all the time..but what would you rather have, your principles or you loosing your dog.

Because it could happen if ONE and it only takes one complaint , to enforce the DDA act.

No one is saying your dogs cant be off lead, nor are they saying you have failed in your training.. all that is being said is , that to ensure you keep him safe from such complaints..leash him around joggers.. till you can trust him 100%
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Mum to Many Just wanted to say, don't let all the negativity get you down You and your Partner are obviously doing your absolute best with your dogs. No dog is perfect and I'm sure that now you have seen the recall isn't 100%, you and your Partner will be totally on the ball, should a similar situation occur. I gave up letting mine off-lead long ago, after Pebbles got attacked and took herself off home (she was running for her life actually, Chow close behind).

I definitely liked the idea that someone suggested, about asking the jogger if he could "meet" your dogs, whilst they are on-lead. Unless he's a bit scary, then I'd give that one a miss

It most likely was a one-off, so try not to worry too much. Just wonder if perhaps you walk with your Partner and the dogs for a day or two, perhaps that might give you all a bit of extra confidence whilst walking.

Best of luck with sorting it out. It really isn't a massive deal. It's not like your dog bit the jogger or even attempted to. Just got a little over-excited by the sound of it.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »