View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Typing 'one off' in capitals letter wont help us 'understand' any better, because there is nothing to understand when the point is incorrect for the various reasons already listed.

Because you keep jumping back to that phrase, you are not seeing the wood for the trees, and you do really owe it to your dog to do so.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I was being modest Brinleys recall has always been 100% with me, and his recall is also excellent with my partner, THIS WAS A ONE OFF, so sorry for shouting but you don't seem to be understanding, not that shouting will help.Its not an excuse, he has not done this before....
People are understanding. The point being made is that although it was a 'one off', he has done it now and the potential for him to do it again is very much there. Therefore, management is the best policy; putting him on the lead when you see a jogger, or at the very least calling him to you. Although you say your recall is usually excellent, the incident with the jogger would suggest otherwise and perhaps it needs a bit more work.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 02:32 PM
There have been some helpful suggestions and I am grateful for those, and we will work with them, that is what I was hoping for when I posted the thread, there have also been some suggestions that I will not be taking up, my choice, thanks anyway but I don't need lecturing .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Recal percentages should always be based on the nEXT recall your dog does, not the ones in the past as you just never know.
I agree with the others, if your dog can't be focused on the ball on his second walk, I would have him on a long line, just to be sure. He has chased this person once...so it is much more likely he will do it again. Keep him on a long line and work again on his recall, when you are certain he won't do it again, you won't need the longline.
Good luck.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 02:38 PM
there have also been some suggestions that I will not be taking up, my choice, thanks anyway but I don't need lecturing .
It is a shame that you have decided not to responsibly put your dog on lead around joggers, as around here to do so is standard if your dogs recall is iffy or if your dog has an issue with them. I hope for your dogs sake that it doesn't happen again.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Im very confused as to why, when you told us your dog had a go at a stranger, which is aggression under the law, you would be surprised that people would suggest you put him on a lead
(At least until you have worked out the reason and solved the problem).
Very odd that you would get angry at such an obvious suggestion?

Of course we would say this, anyone member of the public would say so, as it's the right thing to do.
And because we are dogsey members, we are dog lovers (incl yourself), so we would naturally make this suggestion, as we would be concerned for the dogs future.

It can still be a very long lunge line lead, so he could still run around.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It is a shame that you have decided not to responsibly put your dog on lead around joggers, as around here to do so is standard if your dogs recall is iffy or if your dog has an issue with them. I hope for your dogs sake that it doesn't happen again.
My dogs recall is not iffy as I have said.I'm sorry my dog is not perfect but I can assure you we are responsible, I wish that I had not posted on here now I can see why others have said the same, I asked for advice, and have had some ideas to work with but as I said I don't need to be lectured, I think it must be my training as a Social Worker, I was taught to be as non judgemental as possible, sometimes I am too generous and think other people are also going to be non judgemental, my mistake...
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Im very confused as to why, when you told us your dog had a go at a stranger, which is aggression under the law, you would be surprised that people would suggest you put him on a lead
(At least until you have worked out the reason and solved the problem).
Very odd that you would get angry at such an obvious suggestion?

Of course we would say this, anyone member of the public would say so, as it's the right thing to do.
And because we are dogsey members, we are dog lovers (incl yourself), so we would naturally make this suggestion, as we would be concerned for the dogs future.

It can still be a very long lunge line lead, so he could still run around.
Please don't lecture me or patronise me, end of message.
BigV
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I was being modest Brinleys recall has always been 100% with me, and his recall is also excellent with my partner, THIS WAS A ONE OFF, so sorry for shouting but you don't seem to be understanding, not that shouting will help.Its not an excuse, he has not done this before....
I did not offer an apology to the jogger because I wasn't there, but my partner did, we do have manners you know!
I think it is you that is not understanding my point of view to be honest..... you come across as quite ignorant and using capital letters to SHOUT is not making your excuses seem any more acceptable or valid.

I understand that you are trying to make sure this doesn't happen again, but the fact that you are happy to risk a repeat of this situation by allowing your dog off lead again before getting this problem fixed suggests to me that you have a complete lack of respect and consideration for other people. - Putting the needs of your dog before the safety of another human being.

That is how I see it from my point of view.... as a walker, cyclist and dog owner.......... I am trying not to be judgemental of the original incident, but the fact that you are not willing to rectify your behavior really pushes my blood pressure up.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I think it is you that is not understanding my point of view to be honest..... you come across as quite ignorant and using capital letters to SHOUT is not making your excuses seem any more acceptable or valid.

I understand that you are trying to make sure this doesn't happen again, but the fact that you are happy to risk a repeat of this situation by allowing your dog off lead again before getting this problem fixed suggests to me that you have a complete lack of respect and consideration for other people. - Putting the needs of your dog before the safety of another human being.

That is how I see it from my point of view.... as a walker, cyclist and dog owner.......... I am trying not to be judgemental of the original incident, but the fact that you are not willing to rectify your behavior really pushes my blood pressure up.
had you made any sensible suggestions I would have been happy to take them on board as I will be doing with the ones that have as you haven't said anything worthwile please forgive me if I choose to ignore your comments.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »