Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Daisy on Metacam.

Had quite a bad night with Daisy last night, she seems to be getting really stiff and uncomfortable. She has had arthritis slightly for a while now, but seemed much worse last night. The vet said she could not find any real stiffness in her legs, but seems to be in her shoulder and maybe spine. She said the only real way to find out if she has any disc problems is to xray, but she is such an age that if they found anything it would not be a good idea to operate, especially with her bad heart. So we are going to give Metacam a try and see if it helps to ease the pain for her. I feel so sorry for her, it breaks my heart to see her in any pain.

Has anyone else used Metacam and had good results.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
sorry i cant be of any help with the meds but i hope Daisy feels much better soon, sending her cav kisses from Rogue and bichon hugs from Princess
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Do you feed an age related diet as I have heard that they really help some dogs. Can't advise on the Metacam I'm afraid.
Hope the Metacam helps her though!
Becky
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Do you feed an age related diet as I have heard that they really help some dogs. Can't advise on the Metacam I'm afraid.
Hope the Metacam helps her though!
Becky
I feed her on Burns High Oats. I put her on Burns because I have to be very careful with her weight, she puts it on very easily and also she once had Pancreatitis and has to have a very low fat diet..
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I thought I recognised that medication Kate, thought Simba was on that one time - but it was something else, having got all the paperwork out
Sorry to read that Daisy had a bad night, bless her, and I really hope the Metacam works for her. x
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
sophie has been on Metacam for her mouth as she hd baby teeth and adult teeth together the baby ones had not fell out, she had them removed today and the vet was amazed at what she pulled it said she must of been in so much pain but while on the meds she had no pain was eating all her normal food so helped her alot.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Awwww so sorry to hear this Katie, but believe me, you will see a miraculous difference almost immediately with her stiffness when she has the Metacam!! Cassie swore by it, it turned her into a young dog again when she got old and stiff, so hopefully it should do the same thing for Daisy, finger's crossed for you.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi Katie

My Kip is on Metacam - has been for awhile now and it does make quite a difference. There are two similar types of medication - Metacam and Rimadyl. Sometimes dogs that don't do well on one do better on the other, so if you don't see any improvement (you should start seeing some within a few days), you could always ask your vet to try the other.

You might want to ask you vet about hydrotherapy or possibly even acupuncture, as long as the vet says neither will do any harm, I would give them both a shot. Hydrotherapy makes a huge difference to Kip (albeit that is for arthritis in his hips rather than shoulder/spine problems).

I really hope you see an improvement in her
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
I didn't realise it had such a quick reaction Let's hope she reaps the benefits.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Jess has been on metacam, and it definately helps her alot. I can tell when the medicine is running out as she definately goes very sad for an hour or so until the next lot kicks in.

Glucosamine is good for arthritus problems might be worth a phone call to your vet to ask advice. Don't get the vets though as jess's bottle cost nearly £100. You can now get it in health stores for a lot lot less. Might be worth a phone call to ask if it would benefit her.

Hope the metacalm helps her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >