Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2005, 06:36 PM

Bruises

Anyone got any tips on helping or preventing bruises forming. I had an eye op today and have been told it will get quite bruised so any tips appreciated.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Arnica cream I think Carole, never used it but have heard its very good
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought ice or anything cold helps take away bruising. :smt017

There is the old wives tail though about placing a steak over bruising,but would be much better being eaten... :smt016
Carole
Supervisor

02-12-2005, 07:05 PM
thanks Het and Steve will try ice and arnica cream in the morning once it has settled down a bit.

Can you imagine Star and Finn if I sat with a bit of steak on my face does not bear thinking about :smt042
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

02-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi C, witch hazel is excellent for stopping bruising but you got to use it pretty fast. Soak a cotton wool ball with it & hold over place of bruising

ps hopw your eyes ok & was nothing serious
Carole
Supervisor

02-12-2005, 07:46 PM
thanks Christine
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Some tips

Apply ice or cold packs to your bruise for 15 to 20 minutes 3 or more times per day. Ice helps to relieve pain and reduce swelling and inflammation. Keep a thin cloth (damp or dry) between your skin and the cold pack. Do not fall asleep with ice on your skin.

Witch hazel may help heal damaged veins. An ointment made from witch hazel leaves can be applied to the skin to treat bruises and cuts. It may help tighten stretched (distended) veins and restore vessel tone, decrease inflammation, and decrease bleeding.

The leaves of the arnica plant may be used in an ointment and can be applied to the skin to treat bruises. It may improve healing by decreasing swelling, decreasing pain, and speed up blood reabsorption.

Avoid activities that might increase swelling such as taking hot showers, using hot tubs, hot packs, and drinking alcohol. During the first 48 hours, these things may actually increase bruising and swelling. Stop smoking since smoking may delay healing because it interferes with blood supply and collagen metabolism.

Studies show that people with vitamin C and Zinc deficiencies bruise more easily than others, probably because their blood vessels are generally weaker. Try increasing your vitamin C and zinc intake eg by eating oranges and green vegetables.

Do not use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for the first 24 hours after an injury that caused a bruise. NSAIDs may prolong bleeding under the skin and make bruising worse. Avoid ibuprofen (Nurofen), naproxen (Naprosyn), ketoprofen (Orudis). Do not use aspirin for the first 24 hours after an injury that caused a bruise. Aspirin may prolong bleeding under the skin and make bruising worse. If you need pain relief, try paracetamol.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Hi, i have heard that Arnica cream or gel eases bruising.
Carole
Supervisor

02-12-2005, 08:25 PM
thanks Roy and Minky

hopefully I can stop the bruising before it gets too bad.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Carole
thanks Het and Steve will try ice and arnica cream in the morning once it has settled down a bit.

Can you imagine Star and Finn if I sat with a bit of steak on my face does not bear thinking about :smt042
I can just imagine that!!!
Hope your eye gets better soon!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >