Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 08:32 AM

What should I do for an upset tummy?

Hi all

For the last 24 hours, Max has been doing really runny poos (they are just brown liquid). Not solid at all

He hasn't eaten anything strange, and has just had his Beta Puppy food as normal. He is eating and drinking OK and seems fine when we go on walks...

Someone suggested that it could be the heat?

Any suggestions on what it might be/what I can do, and should I be worried (well, more worried than I am!)

Thanks

Shelley
x
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Feed well-boiled white rice and boiled/steamed white fish or non-fatty chicken.

Have you taken his temperature?

Make sure he is drinking plently as pups can dehydrate very quickly. Try to keep him cool and don't let him run around outside in the heat.

Slipperly Elm tablets can help firm things up, but if he continues to have loose stools you should see your vet and don't leave it too long. Probably a dietary indiscretion, but not worth taking chances with pups
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
To add to shadows advise..feed the light bland chicken or white fish and rice for a day or so until the faeces are back to normal, then re-introduce his normal puppy food gradually over a couple of days.

Hopefully should sirt itself out
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I would starve from normal food for 24hrs & just feed live (bio) youghurt at regular intervals, its full of good bacteria which will help fight off any bug if thats whats causing it, after the 24hrs of feeding only bio youghurt things should have started to clear up then just feed something bland for a couple of days such as scramcled egg or cooked chicken & rice.

My dogs have been like that a few times & that method has never failed me yet.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

08-06-2006, 09:52 PM
I would be reluctant to withold food for 24 hours in the case of a young puppy, unless on veterinary advice.

Plain pro-biotic yoghurt is an excellent way of replacing the intestinal flora which is lost during diarrhoea
Meg
Supervisor

08-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Isochick I would also feed white rice and white fish a little at a time , the starch in the rice should help to firm things up. You can also give the puppy the rice water with a tiny bit of honey added.

It could be a tummy bug, puppies can go down hill fast so if the runny poos continue I would see a vet.