Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:06 PM

'Proper' life cover?

I am really tearing my hair out with finding an insurance company...

Can anyone help me with what companies do a 'proper' life cover? I have called a few who have life cover, but it is limited. So if you have, for example, a cover of £7,500, then you have no time limit on ongoing conditions, but they will only cover for the £7,500. So, say the ongoing condition will cost £3,000 a year, they will only pay for 2 and a half years... What companies will keep on pay the £3,000 with no limit? Are there any??

Do you think it is worth getting 'proper' life cover, or do you think the part life cover is enough? Obviously without knowing what the future holds...

Twice, I have decided on who I am going to go with (Tesco and Healthy Pets) just to then find out that the cover isn't the 'proper' life cover... It is driving me insane...
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I am really tearing my hair out with finding an insurance company...

Can anyone help me with what companies do a 'proper' life cover? I have called a few who have life cover, but it is limited. So if you have, for example, a cover of £7,500, then you have no time limit on ongoing conditions, but they will only cover for the £7,500. So, say the ongoing condition will cost £3,000 a year, they will only pay for 2 and a half years... What companies will keep on pay the £3,000 with no limit? Are there any??

Do you think it is worth getting 'proper' life cover, or do you think the part life cover is enough? Obviously without knowing what the future holds...

Twice, I have decided on who I am going to go with (Tesco and Healthy Pets) just to then find out that the cover isn't the 'proper' life cover... It is driving me insane...
Oh I never realised healthy pets was like that they make a big song and dance about all of their covers are for life, i assumed that meant per year for the length of the illness???? renewing the £7500 each year, I'll have to look into that now
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:10 PM
If it's any help, Pet Plan are only limited by your annual cover amount. For example, if you are covered for up to £4,000 per year, that is all you get. That will include on going covered for life conditions and any new conditions. If your amount runs out in that year, you need to cover it. However when the new year starts, you'll get £4,000 to spend all over again. This continues as longas you keep up the policy. I do think you need to pay a new excess for each year though. I don't know about other companies though I'm afraid as I've only been with Pet Plan, Hope that helps a bit though.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
I would fear the premium hike if it was a year on year ongoing illness too...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Axa is per year rather than per condition, £7000 renewed each policy year, with no time limit on conditions.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I have heard many insurers claim that they do not do this, just raise premiums based on overall claims. E.g. if you had a Labrador and they had lots of owners of Labradors claiming for issues that year, they may increase your premium the following year. Ditto if you lived in Surrey and lots of people in Surrey claimed. So raising on the likelihood of your breed or your area to claim in the future, rather than the individial claims you've made. But no idea if this actually translates into real life as I haven't claimed for either of my yet (but I didn't experience massive premium hikes when I used M&S about 8 years ago and claimed year on year for about 3 years)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Oh I never realised healthy pets was like that they make a big song and dance about all of their covers are for life, i assumed that meant per year for the length of the illness???? renewing the £7500 each year, I'll have to look into that now
Yeah, I called them earlier because I had finally settled on them after I bombed out Tesco... and the woman said that you have as many years as you need for the condition, but that you only get the amount that the policy is for.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
If it's any help, Pet Plan are only limited by your annual cover amount. For example, if you are covered for up to £4,000 per year, that is all you get. That will include on going covered for life conditions and any new conditions. If your amount runs out in that year, you need to cover it. However when the new year starts, you'll get £4,000 to spend all over again. This continues as longas you keep up the policy. I do think you need to pay a new excess for each year though. I don't know about other companies though I'm afraid as I've only been with Pet Plan, Hope that helps a bit though.
So, if a ongoing condition is £2,000 a year, and the cover is for £4,000 then every year they will keep on paying the £2,000 for as many years as you need, and then you have the other £2,000 for other things? I think if that is right, then I think it will need to be PetPlan... I will really need to budget with them though
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
It is a worry, but I guess it is just one of those things that could potentially happen...

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Axa is per year rather than per condition, £7000 renewed each policy year, with no time limit on conditions.
I did look at Axa but they won't insure Jake because I don't routinely vaccinate him.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
I just read this ,but does not say which companies ...
Lifetime limit - This will offer an overall sum per condition. For example, if the agreed sum was for £30,000 then this is the maximum amount you could claim for that condition for the rest of your dogs life. The obvious disadvantage to this is that if you reach this limit and your dog is still going strong, then you will have to start paying the vet bills yourself.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Just called Healthy pets and the £7500 is payable for EACH condition in any one year, so if dog had broken leg and insurance paid out £7500 for that you wouldn't get any more help with that the following year. but if in the same year as the broken leg had taken £7500, your dog needed other treatment the new problem would have a £7500 limit. Apparently most insurance companies will only pay out up to your maximum policy so say £7500 for all issues throughout the year, so Healthy pets sounds a great option to me, £7500 is quite alot per condition in a year i think???
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >