View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:20 AM
I find it totally gob smacking thst anyone would query why a rescue should charge for rehoming, anytime i rescue i pay out happily, usually twice what they may ask. If you dont give a donation/pay a fee, how do you think these rescues exist/ survive & continue to do the work they do

Last week some evil excuse for a human being tbrew a helpless baby animal less than six weeks old into the river. Rescuers had to go into the river to rescue it. No one paid them to do it, no one paid them for the incurring vets fees, no one is paying for all the TLC that baby is getting until fit enough to be homed nor is anyone paying for the time they spent going back & back to search the river for anymore that may have been callously 'dumped'

If Rescues like MT didnt exist, incidences like this would escalate very very fast....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I can't see why people can't accept that taking a few dogs from the farms doesn't change the big picture (it does give individual dogs a life---but that it seems is not important). If they stopped taking them the farms would find another way---I am sure one we know of does their own pts if need be.

rune
But it is`nt just a few dogs is it,

What`s the answer, I have no idea, but surely you can accept the simply fact by taking them off their hands , you enable them to fill the empty places.

Its not just puppy farmers, its breeders who breed without any comeback, and off load the pups they cant sell to rescue, its a get out for anyone that needs to get rid quickly!

Until much tighter laws are brought in the cycle will continue,
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do they give them away, or do they charge more for pure breds than mixed/mutts.......

The trouble is , and what ever side you see this from, the facts are as long as rescues take surplus stock from such people, they will continue to exist.

I don`t know the answer, but I don`t understand why people cant accept that, rescues take the unwanted off their hands, and they simply fill that place with another, and another and another.
No rescue could survive if they do not charge!

All rescues take unwanted dogs of peoples hands, as I said above I suppose if they didnt it would solve the rescue problem!

The place would still be filled regardless - do you think all those greyhound breeders would stop if rescues didnt take them? I think we know the answer to that one.

The way to stop puppy farmers is to stop the demand for them and that is only going to be acheived by education of which MT is part of..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post

All rescues take unwanted dogs of peoples hands, as I said above I suppose if they didnt it would solve the rescue problem!

The place would still be filled regardless - do you think all those greyhound breeders would stop if rescues didnt take them? I think we know the answer to that one.

The way to stop puppy farmers is to stop the demand for them and that is only going to be acheived by education of which MT is part of..
Good post Spot

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I an not disputing that, but a point was made, why do general rescues not hand over a pure bred to breed rescue,..surely if the welfare of the dog is paramount in said rescues ethos , it would be only to willing to make sure said breed(specially if needs experienced owners) got the correct home it needs, the the correct people for that is breed rescue.

Which is why the question, do they charge more for pure breds, do they see it as "we will have the money, why would we give it to you".

Its a simple question, after all if they get more for the pure bred than the mutt, they have more to put into the pot?

But the question also has to be asked, whats best for the dog, and who`s best to re home it.

The trouble is spot, education will only work on those who want to learn, there is enough info out there for anyone to find, on the best place/way to buy a dog, but the majority simply don`t care, about health, they want a dog , they want it now, and they don`t want to pay a lot for it, health and breeding just don`t fit into their want it now thinking.............and I cant see that ever changing.

A friend has just had a litter, she did all health checked on her dogs, has the certificate to show , sold through the KC assured breeders , yet not one of her puppy buyers asked about health or health issues in the dogs.

She had many many calls from people who want a dog ....NOW, and were not prepared to wait,

We forget, the world of forums is small its consists of those who already know, and those who learn, but in the scheme of things, its a blot on the horizon .
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
You guys are lucky to have a rescue that helps Puppy Mill dogs... Here, the Mills dont want attention, so they just kill the dogs, unless, by chance, they're found out and the dogs are taken away. We have coyotes to take care of the bodies, besides, shooting them isn't illegal, so if a bunch are found shot, there's no problem.

It's slowly changing though. I hear about mills getting shut down often now... and alot of pet stores are no longer selling puppies. It's getting harder and harder for mills to make easy money, and hopefully, that trend continues.
Jay Tee
New Member!
Female 

03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I an not disputing that, but a point was made, why do general rescues not hand over a pure bred to breed rescue,..surely if the welfare of the dog is paramount in said rescues ethos , it would be only to willing to make sure said breed(specially if needs experienced owners) got the correct home it needs, the the correct people for that is breed rescue.

Which is why the question, do they charge more for pure breds, do they see it as "we will have the money, why would we give it to you".

Its a simple question, after all if they get more for the pure bred than the mutt, they have more to put into the pot?

But the question also has to be asked, whats best for the dog, and who`s best to re home it.

The trouble is spot, education will only work on those who want to learn, there is enough info out there for anyone to find, on the best place/way to buy a dog, but the majority simply don`t care, about health, they want a dog , they want it now, and they don`t want to pay a lot for it, health and breeding just don`t fit into their want it now thinking.............and I cant see that ever changing.

A friend has just had a litter, she did all health checked on her dogs, has the certificate to show , sold through the KC assured breeders , yet not one of her puppy buyers asked about health or health issues in the dogs.

She had many many calls from people who want a dog ....NOW, and were not prepared to wait,

We forget, the world of forums is small its consists of those who already know, and those who learn, but in the scheme of things, its a blot on the horizon .
Many Tears price by circumstances not breed/cross etc.

So it's £170 for dogs in the rescue centre, £180 for those in foster homes and by donation for dogs that have some sort of problem.

I can't see how you think their making a profit at this when they neuter/chip and give medical treatment as necessary.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I know... I was having a pot shot at all the money they do make out of dogs

Fair enough

Saying that I think rescues should not help puppy farmers get rid of stock passed it's sell-by date does not equal me saying that those dogs are not deserving - they are completely separate points.

Every dog in need is deserving, but I'd rather go and help the thousands of poundies from being PTS before doing anything to aid and abet disgusting puppy farmers take the easy option to get rid of dogs that are no more use to him - because making things easy for them will just add towards perpetuating the situation.
Ahhhhhhhhh now there lies my question.....if your would rather do the above........what are you doing, your making another space for another unwanted dog that gets 7 days before being PTS.
In my lifetime of working with dogs at rescues I have seen 20 go the 'front way' daily, walked up the road and taken into the place where they were PTS...........but so that there would not be a public outcry by people living nearby.....another 20-25 were walked through the building so the total being 40-45 daily I have seen heavily pregnant bitches PTS, to save space of keeping the bitch with pups after they were born, to save people coming and taking the ''cute'' pups rather than the adult.
Cruelty cases PTS because it was deemed they would cost to much to get better,

Its all about money and resources

If you go to a rescue what would you look for a much older breed or a youngster that you could mold....many people if they were truthful would go for a youngster.

People/rescues taking PF ex breeders and giving them a chance is no different to you taking/helping on in a pound......your still making a space for yet another dog to face their fate.

As for those against paying for rescues/ saying rescue are cashing in.........you do that at a pound, Birmingham's pounds will charge more for a pedigree I've witnessed that myself.
But I personally have no problem with paying, after all these places have wages to pay, vet bills, food, overhead like electricity, water rates, council rates, etc
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jay Tee View Post
Many Tears price by circumstances not breed/cross etc.

So it's £170 for dogs in the rescue centre, £180 for those in foster homes and by donation for dogs that have some sort of problem.

I can't see how you think their making a profit at this when they neuter/chip and give medical treatment as necessary.
Did I say that??
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh now there lies my question.....if your would rather do the above........what are you doing, your making another space for another unwanted dog that gets 7 days before being PTS.
In my lifetime of working with dogs at rescues I have seen 20 go the 'front way' daily, walked up the road and taken into the place where they were PTS...........but so that there would not be a public outcry by people living nearby.....another 20-25 were walked through the building so the total being 40-45 daily I have seen heavily pregnant bitches PTS, to save space of keeping the bitch with pups after they were born, to save people coming and taking the ''cute'' pups rather than the adult.
Cruelty cases PTS because it was deemed they would cost to much to get better,

Its all about money and resources

If you go to a rescue what would you look for a much older breed or a youngster that you could mold....many people if they were truthful would go for a youngster.

People/rescues taking PF ex breeders and giving them a chance is no different to you taking/helping on in a pound......your still making a space for yet another dog to face their fate.

As for those against paying for rescues/ saying rescue are cashing in.........you do that at a pound, Birmingham's pounds will charge more for a pedigree I've witnessed that myself.
But I personally have no problem with paying, after all these places have wages to pay, vet bills, food, overhead like electricity, water rates, council rates, etc
Who is against paying??
Page 9 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »