Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Harnesses

Hi

I have just had the best dog walk in a long time !

I bought harnesses for my dogs at Discover Dogs at the weekend and have walked them this morning using the harnesses for the first time . Now maybe it is a fluke but it was just great , I didnt know I had doggies on the end of my leads ! No pulling just a really pleasant walk with them by my side when we were near the road and with them having a bit a freedom when off road. They are always on leads are they sighthounds unless we are in the safe field.

It was such a pleasure to have a walk like this thought I wouls share it !
TeganTW
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:24 PM
thats great to hear, i bought tikaani a harness today too. Looking forward to trying it out. When i can work out how to put it on haha x
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:24 PM
I think sometimes the change of restraint can be enough to stop dogs pulling. They're so used to a constant pressure on their neck that switching to a harness can be all you need to do. Of course, then you get the other end of the spectrum with the dogs who find harnesses make it much more comfortable to drag your arm out of its socket!
I like walking mine on harnesses simply because I feel it's a lot more comfortable for them than something around the neck - and their Ruffwear harnesses have very handy handles incase I need to grab them for a few seconds (e.g. passing cyclist) rather than have to sort out their leads.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think sometimes the change of restraint can be enough to stop dogs pulling. They're so used to a constant pressure on their neck that switching to a harness can be all you need to do. Of course, then you get the other end of the spectrum with the dogs who find harnesses make it much more comfortable to drag your arm out of its socket!
I like walking mine on harnesses simply because I feel it's a lot more comfortable for them than something around the neck - and their Ruffwear harnesses have very handy handles incase I need to grab them for a few seconds (e.g. passing cyclist) rather than have to sort out their leads.
I think it looks like it may have worked , I was bamboozled by the range of harnesses on the market and did shop around a bit at discover dogs to try and find the right one for my hounds, I ended up with one called a perfect fit harness which comes in 3 parts , I have sighthounds which are a funny shape so this seemed to work in terms of a small part for over the narrow shoulders and a larger part for the deep chest. And padded of course as they have thin skin and no meat on them ! Early days but hope it continues as it has today as it was so refershing to have a lovely walk with my lovely dogs and even when the squirrels appeared not to dislocate my shoulder !!!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by TeganTW View Post
thats great to hear, i bought tikaani a harness today too. Looking forward to trying it out. When i can work out how to put it on haha x
I agree its a faff to get them on , especially with wussy hounds who dont iike the cold and its over their coats but well worth it !
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Any pictures? I like harnesses, feels more secure and nicer on their necks. Glad you've had a better walk with them
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Any pictures? I like harnesses, feels more secure and nicer on their necks. Glad you've had a better walk with them

Hi I will send a pic in a mo !!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Wow thats great news, I darent put Louie's harness on in a morning with the frost - He'd be like a husky
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Wow thats great news, I darent put Louie's harness on in a morning with the frost - He'd be like a husky

was thinking of getting sled for the winter too lool
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Axels Momma , hope you can get a guist of what the harness looks like and also Toms new house and walking collars from Discover Dogs !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >