Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Northern Inuit Exclusions.

Vito's insurance us due for renewal and looking through different policies i found that sainsburys don't insure northern inuits. I'd never seen this before when first getting his insurance. It's not just northern inuits, there's a whole list, including a few surprises.

Pets that are an American Pit Bull Terrier, Dogo Argentino, Fila Braziliero, Japanese
Tosa, Perro de Presa Canario, Pit Bull, Pit Bull Terrier, Sharpei, wolves or wolf hybrid, or
a dog crossed with these, or any animal registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
and The Dangerous Dogs (Northern Ireland) order 1991 or Dangerous Dogs (amendment)
Act 1997 or any subsequent amendments or a dog crossed with any of these. Also
pets that are an American Bulldog, American Bullmastiff, American Staffordshire Bull
Terrier, Beauceron, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bordeaux Mastiff, Bullmastiff, Cane Corso,
Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, Deerhound, Dogue Brasileros, Dogue de Bordeaux, Irish
Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Northern Inuit, Pyrenean Mastiff,
Sarlooswolfhound, Spanish Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, Tosa Inus, Utonagan.

I had previously just put Vito as s shepherd x which is what he is but i wouldn't want to get stung on a technicality.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I would have put him down as a crossbreed - you are not lying.....
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:59 AM
But my vet has him as a shepherd x northern inuit so they could not pay out as NI are excluded, i wouldn't want to take the risk, even though they are the cheapest I could find.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Its very strange - I would ask the vet to change it to cross breed but I'm cheeky like that.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Its because the idiots that breed them are breeding all and sundry and calling them wolfdogs----it has probably frightened the insurers.

Shame as with GSD in the mix you are likely to get health problems.

I think there is a company who insures them but don't know which?

rune
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Petplan, Argos (well I used to have mine with Argos and they paid out when I lost my Shadow, RIP Dear Boy xxxx).

I would also put him down as a cross breed and get the vet to change their records.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:15 AM
hi
get the vet to change him to a cross.. thats what he is!

re the csv and saarloos they havnt revised their policys sinse defra has re classified them.. but again,in this country they are not recognised(untill we fall inline with the rest of the world and recognise fci breeds)
so again...they iz crosses and we aint lying lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:15 AM
I can see the theme with the illegal / controlled breeds, status dogs and pit crosses, but what on earth is the Bernese doing in there?
Have you tried other companies?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can see the theme with the illegal / controlled breeds, status dogs and pit crosses, but what on earth is the Bernese doing in there?
Have you tried other companies?
I would imagine some breeds just aren't 'profitable' enough, afterall they are a business. E.g. they've excluded Sharpeis which are prone to numerous expensive health issues from what I've heard, not exactly next suspect on the DDA but full of serious problems with their eyes and stuff.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2010, 10:42 AM
There are a few companies that wont insure NI's they seem to think they are wolf hybrids or have high wold content. We stick with Petplan but they arn't cheap.

Looking at the list why is the deerhound on there? What have they done to upset the compnay??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >