View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 06:34 AM
It's a tough decision to make, Kirsty, but one only you can decide upon. I know you will do what is best for all honey, no matter how heartbreaking that may be.....

x0x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
It's a tough decision to make, Kirsty, but one only you can decide upon. I know you will do what is best for all honey, no matter how heartbreaking that may be.....

x0x
Thanks Vicki. I think it will be really tough up until the point she is settled in her new place, and then I think I will be at peace with my decision. My riding instructor is away on an equine massage course for 9 days, so will be in touch when she gets back to come up and collect the horses.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Moobli, could you not get a sharer in to look after her for a few days a week? That way she still gets the attention she needs but you don't have to give up your girl?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Moobli, could you not get a sharer in to look after her for a few days a week? That way she still gets the attention she needs but you don't have to give up your girl?
Claire&Daisy already suggested this Pawsonboard, and unfortunately, as I said, I live in a pretty rural/remote place and it is at least 30+ mins drive from any nearby town. Also we get a lot of snow in the winter and it make the single track roads up here impassable. The only other woman who is interested in horses on this estate, or neighbouring ones, has two horses of her own.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 01:48 PM
UPDATE: I am really, really happy to say that I am keeping my horse.

A situation that I hadn't foreseen has happened. Basically, there is a relatively new member of staff on the estate and his wife is still currently living down in England. She is up now for six weeks for the school holidays and is up every weekend anyway. She is hoping to move up fairly soon. She is an experienced horsewoman, although hadn't ridden in ten years, and today she took Marilla out for a hack. She fell in love with her too, and is happy to ride her as regularly as she can and share her with me

So basically, I will retain ownership and main responsibility, but this other lady will ride her, help with the care and pay towards her shoes etc.

It is a dream situation for Marilla (and me!)
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Wooohooo thats great news
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:14 PM
So pleased for you Kirsty. A perfect solution
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm so pleased for you and Marilla!
Things couldn't have worked out any better!!

xxx
tallyho
New Member!
Female 

28-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am putting my horse out on loan with a view to being bought I just don't have enough time to devote to her, never mind getting a chance to regularly ride

Basically I have come to the conclusion that my dogs and horses were both getting short shrift. My passion is my dogs (always has been, always will be) but when I got my Highland I imagined I would have plenty of time for both dogs and horses (I also have a Shetland). Yet because I was having to devote the extra time to the horses, my dogs were missing out on the long walks and training time we used to enjoy together.

I thought I could hold out until my son is in full time school, but due to a number of factors that probably won't be for another couple of years

So, I made the difficult decision to see if my riding instructor (who is completely lovely and very horse loving) would like to take my mare on a loan arrangement, with a view to buying her if they both got on ok, and my mare settled in. My RI has also said she will take my Shetland and see how he gets on as a lead rein for the younger children. That is a bit of a relief, as his sweet itch has been really bad, and we get very bad midges up here - yet RIs is down by the coast.

I am very sad at having to part with my horse, as she is an absolutely darling and I will miss her dreadfully - but I do believe I am doing the best by both horses and dogs, and I will still be able to see her regularly and even ride her if I get a chance. For me personally, I only seem to have the time and energy to have one passion at a time!

How does everyone else with multiple animals, children and responsibilities find time to fit everything in???

Moobil, you sound just like me!

I have 3 horses, 3 (currently 4 ) dogs & a full time job wth an 70 minute commute each way.

I keep wondering why i'm knackered but my good frined keeps pointing out that i spread myself to thin.

I show my 3yr old and my yearling, both have qualified for the various Championship shows and i'm the middle of backing one.

My day starts at 5.30 when me and my russell are rudely awoken by the alarm. all dogs out of kitchen into garden immediately while i wake myself up.

I'm out walking the dogs by 6.15 returning between 7 -7.15am.

In the kennels they go (food / water/ chewy) and i'm off to work as soon after 7.15 as i can.

I try to get to work between 8.15 and 8.30 as i can leave at 4.15-4.30 then and miss the traffic.

Then all dogs straight into the garden ( i have a big one) while i change and havea cuppa.

Then all dogs into car for a walk by 5.30-5.45.

Home by 6.30pm and 2 spaniels are into the kennels to be fed. My jrt and the youngest springer come with me to the yard (mum turns them all out and feeds horses am).

I then scrub by coloured to keee his coat in show condition and lunge / longrein or run him out in hand for 30 minutes, bed them all up and feed. Do water troughs and poo pick as required.

Then home by 9pm grab the other two dogs and back out for another walk round the tree fields ( i take balls etc and incorporate a bit of training daily as they're all gun dogs - my JRT is a springer in disguise and was actually the easiest to train).

Anyway generally home by 9.30 and the dogs mooch around the garden and kitchen area until bed time about 11pm. My russell comes in living room and to bed (is supposedly the 'pet' but i'm thinking i'm more like her slave!).

I generally eat at work and have something very quick in the evening as i just don't have time.

That said, i wouldn't be without either horses or dogs but it is a strain sometimes!

I had a weekend off from showing 2 weeks ago and got up at usual time to let dogs out. Thought i'll just have half hour nap and woke up at 1pm in the afternoon. Thankfully i'd given all the dogs a chew in the morning and i have a big garden for them to roam around!

So the point of this was, i know exactly how you feel and often think that somethings got to give.
I recently stepped down from all the show committees i was on as just could not dedicate the time to it (and the chairman/precident was a complete nutter).

Sometimes you have to reaccess what you want and what gives you joy. Horses are very expensive and time consuming and i think to work and have anything else in your life (especially kids / dogs/ hubby/ work) then it has to be ingrained in your soul (like your dogs are).

You'll probably find you enjoy your dogs (and your mare) more when there is less time pressure and you don't have to stress about pulling it all in.

So, i hope it all goes well and you finally get a little bit of down time. Enjoy!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2011, 04:05 PM
I was just getting to the end of this and thinking how sad it was...that you have only just gotten her then having to let her go..

and then read you're last post..

Thats fantastic news..what a twist of fate..shows things happen when you really need them too
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >