Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I would have thought most of the Cornish bred lambs would be pretty big by now? What time of year do your farmers start down there Rune? I would guess around Jan?
Some biggish ones around but 'our' farmer always lambs about now, he also has people staying especially for it. Its a good idea but he reckons its hard work keeping an eye on them and the sheep.

Our vet has a small flock and he lambs late as well---his were 4 weeks ago.

rune
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:19 AM
I thought the AI bit was interesting last night (love the way he keeps it down his jumper ) not many farmers do it themselfs, or not here anyway.

Nice to see the weather improving for them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I really enjoyed the AI bit too, as I have only ever seen that happen once or twice (on TV). Shame the programme finishes tonight (I think) Would like to see a bit more of the sheepdogs working and training (obviously they would have had to be pre-recorded), but have enjoyed the programme overall.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I've been watching it, I found it intresting, particulary the bit about putting the dead lambs skin on another to get its mum to adopt it, I've never heard of that before.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I've been watching it, I found it intresting, particulary the bit about putting the dead lambs skin on another to get its mum to adopt it, I've never heard of that before.
Yep,that method is an age old, tried and tested one, and the one we employ most of the time when we need to mother up an orphan. I am glad they showed it actually, as I wondered if they weren't showing it as it might be considered too graphic for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I really enjoyed the AI bit too, as I have only ever seen that happen once or twice (on TV). Shame the programme finishes tonight (I think) Would like to see a bit more of the sheepdogs working and training (obviously they would have had to be pre-recorded), but have enjoyed the programme overall.
Yep I really enjoyed it last year as well, and like you I would like to see a bit more with the sheepdogs working.
I lost my ewe with the hernia this morning but have managed to save one of the lambs, its upstars in the bedroom at the moment as thats the warmest room hope it pulls through as its a bit chesty.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Yep I really enjoyed it last year as well, and like you I would like to see a bit more with the sheepdogs working.
I lost my ewe with the hernia this morning but have managed to save one of the lambs, its upstars in the bedroom at the moment as thats the warmest room hope it pulls through as its a bit chesty.
Oh no, sorry to hear you lost the ewe Fingers crossed for the lamb. Do you have any heat lamps?
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:48 PM
No no heat lamps, but I think she should be warm enough its pretty warm over here at the moment we will keep her upstairs in the night for a few nights untill she is stronger, she is in a box with straw so nice and cozy.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
No no heat lamps, but I think she should be warm enough its pretty warm over here at the moment we will keep her upstairs in the night for a few nights untill she is stronger, she is in a box with straw so nice and cozy.
Yes she should be fine then ... fingers well and truly crossed. Is she taking a bottle ok or are you tubing her?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh no! Sorry to hear you lost the ewe Fingers crossed the lamb survives. We used to put new born orphans in the bottom oven of the Rayburn to keep them warm, with the door open obviously, worked a treat
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >