Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
The worst thing I saw was a lamb that had died inside and it had to be pulled out a piece at time, not nice
aw bless - we had a lamb born at college, with a deformed head I have never seen anything like it - but it was not normal - I am nosey and have to learn from these things, but college couldnt tell me much about it... I personally thought it needed being PTS - but it was left?

The piccies are great!! I'll have a farm one day, now where that young lovely farmer
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
sounds a dream - wish I was born on a farm (I tell mum that daily!) :mrgeen: I just think there is something so special about it! If I could find a local farm, I would happily go down and help
There is something very special about it, and I am so glad my son will be lucky enough to grow up on a farm
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Ben with last year's pet lambs

The milk bar

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I think he is very lucky, something I am sure he will appreciate when he is grown up..and unlike alot of kids his age I bet he understands already that its not all fluffy!

Heres one of our bottle fed lambs - such a cutie this one is - wanted to sneak it down me overalls!

DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Them pictures are fab - lucky boy!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
We have lambing live over our cornish hedge!

Also a regular gun patrol as lambs are being taken by foxes----or so it seems.

I love it when they start to go round in clumps and dance.

rune
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I managed to catch the last 5 minutes Moobli - if you need any help I wouldn't mind

DD - me and you both - about the farm that is. I would love to have had my mum's upbringing - but in this day of course, she saw a calf being born and it had to be shifted by wheelbarrow as the cow had had it out of the barn...She also had a ride on the back of a hay truck - all in the lovely place called Kendal in Cumbria
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Moobli can I come and live with you??

DD and SLB we should all live together on our farm I hated my childhood and being on the farm gave me a way to escape it all. I even did a spot of sheep showing

My children love to hear my stories and my eldest would love to be on a farm. I had 2 lovely goats to look after, besides my own, and it was my job to milk the nanny every morning.

I remember one incident when we were dipping them when a rather fiesty sheep decided to make a break for it and I got a full blow body slam as it jumped, I went flying

I was very lucky as the farmer was the son of the Lady (literally) that my parents were Butler and Housekeeper for. So he didn't mind me following him around and let me be really hands on, I got to inject them and shear them and even pull some lambs out. He even let me drive the tractor
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am watching Lambing time is a wonderful time for the sheep farmer or shepherd, but it is also bl**dy hard work and unfortunately programmes like Lambing Live never show the nastier side of lambing - ie dead lambs, predators taking lambs, ewes dying while lambing etc etc. It also manages to make it look a lot easier than it is

Still, it is a good programme to give the general public an idea about sheep farming.
I only have a small flock (not like Moobli) 10 sheep, we are really dairy, but I just find lambing time really stressfull. So far I have 1 female lamb born with no probs, the second lambing was a nightmare twins one very large all mixed up inside, we lost the bigger one but luckly mum and tiny are doing ok this morning. And I have one sheep down with a hernia.
Still when I let first mum and baby out this morning it was so nice to see her sproinging (sp) in the morning sun
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I managed to catch the last 5 minutes Moobli - if you need any help I wouldn't mind :lol:

DD - me and you both - about the farm that is. I would love to have had my mum's upbringing - but in this day of course, she saw a calf being born and it had to be shifted by wheelbarrow as the cow had had it out of the barn...She also had a ride on the back of a hay truck - all in the lovely place called Kendal in Cumbria
We could always do with extra hands at lambing time SLB Also, Kendal is where I was born and I spent the first 20 years of my life in a small town close by. My grandparents were farmers in Ireland and I think that is where I get my deep love of the countryside and farming from. I think it is in the blood.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Moobli can I come and live with you??

DD and SLB we should all live together on our farm I hated my childhood and being on the farm gave me a way to escape it all. I even did a spot of sheep showing

My children love to hear my stories and my eldest would love to be on a farm. I had 2 lovely goats to look after, besides my own, and it was my job to milk the nanny every morning.

I remember one incident when we were dipping them when a rather fiesty sheep decided to make a break for it and I got a full blow body slam as it jumped, I went flying

I was very lucky as the farmer was the son of the Lady (literally) that my parents were Butler and Housekeeper for. So he didn't mind me following him around and let me be really hands on, I got to inject them and shear them and even pull some lambs out. He even let me drive the tractor
LOL Pilgrim.

It is great you have the stories to share with your children because, even though they aren't getting to grow up on a farm themselves, they will learn so much through your stories and your clear enthusiasm and love for that way of life.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >