Being a veggie comes in handy ohh wait.. Noush is a veggie
lmao sure does DD
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
thank goodness wildlife hospitals dont think like this lol
Can imagine it cant you..someone turns up with an injuired animal..The staff turns around and says, ahh it was born its alright..just leave it!

maybe vets will start turning away puppy farmed pups to - because theres to many..See that would be the same, making an animal suffer because of someone else.. Just the same as turning away baby rabbits whos mother was killed, turning away a deer that was hit by a car, a fox that was stuck in fencing, a red kite with a broken wing and the list is endless.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Just as a deer or fox does.............and a sheep or a cow????? Oh wait, where would we buy our burgers and lamb chops from!
I wouldnt know theyre not my thing
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Can imagine it cant you..someone turns up with an injuired animal..The staff turns around and says, ahh it was born its alright..just leave it!
yeah that would be really compassionate

agreed with your edited post... totally! x
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
yeah that would be really compassionate

agreed with your edited post... totally! x
Exactly!! You cant pick and choose what animals you help.

Thanks, give my girls..and lad a snuggle..
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 12:12 AM
Nah, if someone brings in a rabbit, deer or even a grey, you tell them to hang on a minute your just going to get the oven at the right temperature.

Seriously, I'd say it, its just my sence of humour, not to everyone's taste, pun intended.

The only time I'd/have interfered with wildlife is if they're being threatened by something that isn't a natural threat to them. E.g humans, provided the animal isn't being hunted for pest control, domestic cats/dogs, they aren't wild animals, therefore whilst being predators, they aren't part of the natural food chain.

In the 2 times I've got involved, the wild animal hasn't been removed from the wild, I've just removed the unnatural threat, as best I can, and left the animal to it. If it get killed later on, by something else natural or otherwise, or starves etc, then frankly, thats just the way it is.

If it was an endangered species it'd be different, but in the case of species like rabbits, foxes and deer, then I'd leave them be. They're over populated, we created the problem when we removed large predators such as wolves, which would have kept the foxes at bay. But we did, and now we've got to in affect, do their job, and in all honisty we're not that good at it, we're good at complete destruction, but not so much at management as of yet imo.

As for alien species such as greys, another mess we created, I say kill and cook, they don't belong here, and imo rescuing a wild animal esp an adult that knows freedom, then condemning it to a life in a cage, isn't rescuing it at all.

I know that my opinion won't be popular with a few on here, but you won't change it, just like I don't expect to change yours. I respect it, and find your clear compassion admirable, but my head rules my heart.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Let nature take it's course, or dispatch out of misery. I'm often in this position with starlings, young mallards, wood pigeons and rabbits brought back by the cats..these are the main victims, some are often injured or half dead, I do the right thing and put them out of their misery rather than put in a box and call for some to come stress them further, nature is nature. Though the mogs usually do an efficient job.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 05:42 AM
I just do not like to think of any animal 'suffering'. If the suffering and pain can be stopped by treating it and releasing it, well and good. If the only alternatives to that are to do nothing or put it down, I opt to put it down and out of misery.

I have to admit my views have changed somewhat since moving to a country where the indigenous population have little respect for wildlife, nor for dogs, cats, whether they be strays, feral, their own or someone else's pets.

The few sanctuaries are always full and overflowing, some have a policy to neuter dogs and release back to where they were found because they have no room to home them and couldn't possibly find enough new homes for them (known as street dogs, ears tagged to show they are neutered).
The 'cats of Cyprus' are famed. They look cute when depicted on souvenir teatowels, shopping bags and T-shirts but are a real and growing problem all over the island.
Those who encourage them to where lots of people live, and feed them are endangering them (IMHO) just as much as those who aim for them in their cars, shoot them with shotguns or leave poisoned meat (lanate - legal to buy it here). Customers at Tavernas who feed stray cats at their tables do not see the staff at some of those establishments chucking hot oil over them if they return to the kitchen doors at the back.
I worked for a year for the Malcolm Cat Sanctuary in Limassol, they didn't have a policy to 'put down' cats or kittens who were very sick, badly injured or very diseased. But they didn't actively treat them either. I honestly think it is more humane to bring about a quick death than to leave the animal to die 'naturally'.
If they had a euthanasing policy it would upset too many benefactors and people who donate to the cause (but who do not see the reality of coping with more cats than the place was built to take).
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I love British Wildlife and am very happy there are compassionate, caring and skilled people out there to help the injured, sick and needy.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Shouldn`t the question be about relieving suffering though? You either give it a swift and merciful end or you have to care for it. The choice depends on the circumstances. Because the newborn deer was helped to live, the choice was already made, and the decision to pts was (imo) cowardly.
I`ve no problem with letting the dogs snap the neck of an injured rabbit, but if an exhausted bird just needs a rest and some food to be able to continue its life, then I`m happy to oblige with the carboard box and the flaked tuna.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >