Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:52 PM

Accupuncture - Ben's first session tonight for spinal injury

Well, Ben starts his accupuncture tonight and he will have his first session which will be 30 - 40 minutes. It is being carried out by a vet at the local small animal hospital (the same surgery that referred Ben to the Glasgow Vet hospital for the op on his spine) Apparently they will do a full assesment of his range of movement and the mechanics of his movement and then assess whether they think the accupuncture will help and if they think it is the way to go then he will also get his 1st session tonight.

HAs anyone else used accupuncture for their dog and if so what were the results.

Ben is still going to hydrotherapy but I personally feel although it is helping with muscle tone, I don't think it is actually assisting his movement any and he is very wooden legged and still can't run properly ( I know I am impatient LOL , it was only 9 weeks ago he had his operation) he falls over and does bunny hops and gets very frustrated. I have heard mixed reports about the success of accupuncture but it was the orthopaedic surgeon who has completed the referral so I hope they can help. Will update you all
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Haven't heard anything one way or the other, but its got to be worth a try hasn't it.

I hope it helps - good luck for tonight.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:59 PM
As Hali says it worth a shot and can't do any harm can it

I think, under the circumstances, he's done brilliantly, as you say it's only been 9 weeks, I think it's still a miracle that he's walking and running the way he is...He's a very special boy with a lot of guts to come through all that he has.

Good luck with the acupuncture...I hope it helps...I only know of one person that has had it done, but that was for quitting smoking...it worked, but don't think Ben smokes???? does he??????

Elaine xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:19 PM
My GSP Laddie had acupuncture for 2 or 3 years from our local vet. Then she left and the new one wasn`t as effective so I stopped it.
It made a lot of difference to my boy. It takes a few sessions before it really makes a difference as a rule. The dogs tend to get a bit dozy afterwards (relaxed) as well.
One session we had, when I took him in his back was really tense and painful, and when she put one of needles in, he gave a groan of relief and just relaxed - it was amazing.
He wasn`t keen on the stimulated ones (a low current is run through) so she just used the ordinary ones. They leave them in for a while and the dog tends to nod off.
When we started I fed him crunchy biscuits to take his mind off it but he soon got used to it.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My GSP Laddie had acupuncture for 2 or 3 years from our local vet. Then she left and the new one wasn`t as effective so I stopped it.
It made a lot of difference to my boy. It takes a few sessions before it really makes a difference as a rule. The dogs tend to get a bit dozy afterwards (relaxed) as well.
One session we had, when I took him in his back was really tense and painful, and when she put one of needles in, he gave a groan of relief and just relaxed - it was amazing.
He wasn`t keen on the stimulated ones (a low current is run through) so she just used the ordinary ones. They leave them in for a while and the dog tends to nod off.
When we started I fed him crunchy biscuits to take his mind off it but he soon got used to it.
Aw thanks Claire, I will take cheese and cold ham/chicken to keep his mind off it, it will take him a good 20 mins to calm down he gets very excited and loves the vets There are two vets at the practice qualified to do accupuncture so thats handy to know that one was good with Laddie and the other wasn't - might have to try both
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Tassle had 2 sessions on her spine.
...but she hates the vets, I had lovely sweeties for her, but She would not sit still. She was SO tense that once the needles were in her muscles went into contractions and they would not come out without a fight.

THe vet said he had never worked on a dog who was so tense and it was probably doing more harm than good so we stopped.

I have had it done on me - did not make any difference, but I have spoken to several people who have been very impressed with the results

Good luck
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Well, Ben starts his accupuncture tonight and he will have his first session which will be 30 - 40 minutes. It is being carried out by a vet at the local small animal hospital (the same surgery that referred Ben to the Glasgow Vet hospital for the op on his spine) Apparently they will do a full assesment of his range of movement and the mechanics of his movement and then assess whether they think the accupuncture will help and if they think it is the way to go then he will also get his 1st session tonight.

HAs anyone else used accupuncture for their dog and if so what were the results.

Ben is still going to hydrotherapy but I personally feel although it is helping with muscle tone, I don't think it is actually assisting his movement any and he is very wooden legged and still can't run properly ( I know I am impatient LOL , it was only 9 weeks ago he had his operation) he falls over and does bunny hops and gets very frustrated. I have heard mixed reports about the success of accupuncture but it was the orthopaedic surgeon who has completed the referral so I hope they can help. Will update you all
hi,
i used to work for a vet that practised accupuncture and my old dog(rip,bless my boy) had it.i feel it worked (no miracle cure though)but bear in mind he will be stiffer after the first 1/2 sessions,stick with it and you may be pleasently surprised (re muscle tone,have you tried 'muscle dog' use it for about 6 weeks combined with his hydro)good luck
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys for your input and for the warnings about him being stiffer to begin Tupacs2legs what is muscle dog?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Thanks guys for your input and for the warnings about him being stiffer to begin Tupacs2legs what is muscle dog?
hi,
muscle dog is a natural supplement made with highly concentrated rice bran oil.it should be used short time ie 6 weeks to help build condition and muscle combined with excerise/physio
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Oh bl**dy wonderful - ben has vets at 5 and OH has just texted to say he is just leaving aberdeen an hour and a half away (at this time of night) has he phoned the vet to cancel when he knew he would be late finished - that will be a no! I have no transport and no bank card and about 20p. Bl**ody fantastic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >