View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Sorry Azz, I forgot to add that I mash it up a bit too. I'm no great shakes as a cook - I had about 3 attempts at a a sugar-free 1st birthday cake for Carys before I settled on something I was happier with. One of them was like a slab of chewing gum!

Good luck with it all - I shall look forward to reading about how it worked out!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Here it is!

It took me about the time of a CD from start to finish, and actually wasn't too difficult to do.... but how did it taste? Not bad actually!

Not quite as sweet as the M&S one - (I prefer it less sweet anyway) but I think the basil was a bit too strong, as were the aubergines, least I know for next time - but overall it was pretty similar. Funny thing is I thought the lemon dressing was too sweet when testing it, but mixed in in the smaller amount it actually wasn't that sweet at all.

Can't believe I made Dijon mustard from scratch tho! Have no idea what it's 'meant' to taste like as I haven't had any for ages! Still least I know what went into it.

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe (as I just guessed it all) but I went by the order of ingredients to judge quantities as they usually start with the most first.

I will definitely be having this again - and would cook it for guests too
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Nice one Pidge! Only thing I couldn't use their is the bouillon as they usually contain yeast and things like that (plus I hate not knowing exactly what goes into my food).

If I fail my M&S-replica attempt I will try yours as it sounds a lot easier

Good idea LS - I totally forgot about that, tho I've never seen it in the shops. Can you get pure concentrated grape juice that's organic? Or is it easy enough to make at home?

Now you mention it, apple juice is another natural sweetener, I might try that first as I've always got plenty of apples here - and apples are a super food
I used to use Marigold Bouillon which is yeast free although I've just seen it contains palm oil so won't be using that again!

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Here it is!

It took me about the time of a CD from start to finish, and actually wasn't too difficult to do.... but how did it taste? Not bad actually!

Not quite as sweet as the M&S one - (I prefer it less sweet anyway) but I think the basil was a bit too strong, as were the aubergines, least I know for next time - but overall it was pretty similar. Funny thing is I thought the lemon dressing was too sweet when testing it, but mixed in in the smaller amount it actually wasn't that sweet at all.

Can't believe I made Dijon mustard from scratch tho! Have no idea what it's 'meant' to taste like as I haven't had any for ages! Still least I know what went into it.

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe (as I just guessed it all) but I went by the order of ingredients to judge quantities as they usually start with the most first.

I will definitely be having this again - and would cook it for guests too
Looks delicious! Well done you. Would be too sweet for me (I don't add suagr to anything) but looks great.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow, it looks brilliant - well done!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Thanks both

It's not sweet at all really - I don't like food too rich myself, I'm sure you guys would like it.. give it a go and tell me what you think
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Some photos of take 2

Less aubergines this time, but with more peppers

(ps, the couscous looks 'redder' because I used vegetable stock for it - which is quite red because of the beetroot I cook in it.)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Looks yummy Azz, Im only good at recreating burnt dishes
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
That was me a few years ago
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2