Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Snakes

Anyone know anything about them?

Is it possible to have a snake and not have to feed it all the weird stuff like dead mice with all the fur on? I'm a bit squeamish about that but I really like snakes.

Someone once told me you can just feed em eggs. Is that true?
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-11-2005, 04:20 PM
hi tuti

found this:

http://www.geocities.com/thealienguys/feedsnakes.html

there are ones there that live on slugs/snails, worms and nightcrawlers?
hope its useful

Joanne
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-11-2005, 04:34 PM
depends on the type...some will do okay on earth worms, meal worms, crickets etc but you still need to face the fact they mostly eat live prey....even if its the crunchy variety & not the furry ones!!!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 10:41 PM
well im lookin after someones snake for a week while he moves and he feeds it once a week on dead mice that he keeps in freezer...
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-11-2005, 12:13 AM
Like the others have said it all depends on what sort you want most constrictors will eat meat like chicks,mice,rats the thing you got to remember is how big will the snake be when fully grown my OH had two 9 foot boa's Bonnie & Clyde a breeding pair very hard to do.
The bigger the snake the bigger the food that you got to supply also check out where you can get it fromin your area. I know pets at home used to sell the dead rats and mice also the chicks but i don't know if they still do cause it upsets some ppl to see them in the freezer while you get them out.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Tuti - I have a garter snake, and they like to eat fish, and earthworms, but I feed mine on mince, as it's easier, and I know the size of the mouse is enough for her!

Unfortunately, mice etc is what they eat in the wild....it's not as bad as you think really....get it out the freezer, let it defrost (I warm mine up in warm water), then feed!!

Things like eggs (which some snaked can eat), and chicks - should only be fed occasionally, as they don't contain many nutrients etc
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 12:39 PM
and be aware never to feed live - i am not sure if it's illegal or not - but it is quite dangerous. Apart from being cruel to the rat/mouse etc - it is also very dangerous for the snake as the rats and mice can cause quite a bit of damage.

I thought eggs were of 100% nutritional value - that's what i was taught at HE a-level - it has to be to feed the baby growing inside it.

xx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes, it is illegal to feed live animals

Not sure about the eggs then Zounds, just know you shouldn't feed them to most snakes often...and some snakes not at all.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info guys You have thoroughly put me off owning a snake LOL.

Can't stomach the thought of feeding weird stuff like that

LOL thanks though!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 02:10 PM
lol - oh well! never mind eh!

I don't know about eggs and snakes either Hevvur - just that for people they are of 100% biological value - they really are a very whole food. mind, that could have been the Irish Dairy Council's way of telling us to buy more eggs

xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >