Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Day One of Dave the Dog Ownership

Well, I went down the kennels to a wet, sad looking Dave! Turns out Hamish only shares his bed with the Ladies!!

Took my lunge line and a collar down the kennels, so I could give Dave his dinner outside the kennels and give him some love! I tied him the kennels, and fed the others, all the while Dave was trying to get to me, seems we are going to be great friends!

Put Daves dinner down for him and a bowl of water and he didn't want to eat, so I sat down with him and held his bowl and he wolfed down his dinner! He was obviously hungry!!

I left him tied up while I cleaned out the kennels, then untied him and let each of the girls out in turn to meet him, and they all seem to get on fine, so I let Hamish out too and Dave just stood with me, watching them run around like fools!! I couldn't let Charlie out, as Dave took an instant dislike to him yesterday, so I'm going to wait untill he is completely settled before introducing him to the terriers!

Anyway, I put Dave and Misty in the girls kennel to see whether they might be able to live together, but Misty turns Dave on, so that was that idea out of the window!!
I've not bought Charlie into the house, and Dave now lives in Charlies kennel, so hopefully, that might help him settle a bit!!

I took the 4 gundogs for a walk, all on leads, and he stuck to my leg, the amount of times I nearly tripped over him is unreal!!!!

I think once he has settled in, he is going to be a wonderful dog! Just need to tackle the sheep chasing, but thats is going to be a whole new thread when I ask for advice!!!!!!!

Wish me luck, with my 3 terriers in the house, and my new Darling Dave!!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Spunds very intersting, good luck! Have you rescued Dave from somewhere/one? I've missed any other thread about him.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Glad to hear that Dave is settling in well Is there a shepherd on your estate who would be willing to let you train Dave around the sheep to ignore them? If not, you could always come up here
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Day one was yesterday! I decided to make a blog about his progress today and it made sense to include this and then do day two! (This was a thread I did yesterday!)

Ohh and Dave is now called Blade!!

Toby, we took Blade on from a keeper we know. He was bred by the headkeepers wife, from one of her bitches and our very own Hamish! The keeper that had him needed to rehome him as he started chasing sheep, down to the kennels being so close the edge of a sheep field! (The keeper was at the same estate that my OH works at, but got a headkeepers job at a different estate, owned by my OH's bosses!) It wasn't fair on Blade to be kept somewhere where he was being driven mad!!!

Moobli, there is a shepard, but he has never really got on with any of the guys that have keepered my OH's bit! So not sure if they'll let me! I have a back up plan though! The lady that I am going to be riding with lives on a farm and her OH has sheep and cows, so when I am friendlier with them, I may ask!!

My Day Two is a bit more exciting than this one, as Me and Blade actually did some stuff today!!

x