Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
And I`d be in jail because I can`t afford £400 for my 4 rescue dogs each year
Kind of what I was thinking, would certainly have to rethink the 'Oh what's one more' attitude
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2009, 10:48 AM
And if you wrote into the law provisions for rescue, soon it would be a complex mess. At least in the UK you aren't as plagued with lawyers as here.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 12:29 PM
While I agree that dogs should all be microchipped, current legislation is not upheld. Look at all the pit bulls about - no-one bothers to enforce that legislation unless the owner or dog causes injury. And how many cases have there been under the Animal Welfare Act?
The old licence was farce. It was so cheap nobody bothered. The only time it was any good was when it was `taken away` in cases of cruelty. That is now covered as people can be banned from keeping dogs.
Charging for a licence would hit the poor and those with multi-dog households. Being well-off doesn`t mean you treat your dog better.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
And I`d be in jail because I can`t afford £400 for my 4 rescue dogs each year
I did say that that had flaws, as not everyone who wants a dog could afford a fee put high out of the reach of some.

Elaine
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
i personaly think that the microchip should be compulsary,(ie -the licence)no microchip no dog(sounds harsh i know)in my experience(i know not everyones like it) the people that dont want to chip usually have something to hide(they usualy have a certain breed also,i leave it to you to guess the breed,but the surgery is in london..) also to have the chip details in an ADULTS name so they are soley responsible for it(we get,but its my sons dog,etc).the data base is already there,and scanners are easily available.just my opinion tho.
& if the microchip moves or stops working(& this does happen no matter what Becky will reply) ?? dog is taken from owner & ??????????

My Rjj's chip(which I did not implant)has moved from between his shoulder blades to the end of his rib cage & has currently settled in his chest-I had to have his PP corrected
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I think(& always have done)that licensing the owners/walkers etc is far better than licensing the dog.

Everyone bangs on about the microchip as if it is the best thing since sliced bread & foolproof-it isn't & it wouldn't be that hard to clone the chips & multi implant with the same number if you really wanted to foil the system.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 03:33 PM
yea joedee - good point - mabey the owner rather than dog?

and register every dog that they own etc.....

and if stopped by the police - be able to produce a lisence to prove you are allowed own that dog etc.....bit extreme perhaps but may stop the numpties in this world better...
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I think(& always have done)that licensing the owners/walkers etc is far better than licensing the dog.

Everyone bangs on about the microchip as if it is the best thing since sliced bread & foolproof-it isn't & it wouldn't be that hard to clone the chips & multi implant with the same number if you really wanted to foil the system.
That sounds a good idea. It might help with the problem of owners with several dogs and not so much cash.
I worry about Dale's chip. The breeder had him chipped when he had his first inoculation at 6 weeks. I don't know if he was too young but its moved so far that my own vet thought it hadn't been done until I produced the paperwork.
Stripe
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-07-2009, 10:11 PM
The problem with micro-chipping is that I believe already some people are removing them from stolen dogs.(to hide the dogs true identity)
Would ear tattoos be a better idea?
The license fee if reintroduced could be used to keep/update the database.
Even if all the dogs were registered you would still get the same excuses. (Sold the dog, the dog had been stolen etc)
I just hope these and other problems can be sorted out to stop dogs falling into the hands of irresponsible owners.
All the best
Stripe
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
The problem with micro-chipping is that I believe already some people are removing them from stolen dogs.(to hide the dogs true identity)
Would ear tattoos be a better idea?
The license fee if reintroduced could be used to keep/update the database.
Even if all the dogs were registered you would still get the same excuses. (Sold the dog, the dog had been stolen etc)
I just hope these and other problems can be sorted out to stop dogs falling into the hands of irresponsible owners.
All the best
Stripe
no tattoos are not a good idea,ex racing greyhounds have been known to be dumped with their ears cut off.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >