Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2012, 09:47 PM

When to drop to two meals

Pixie almost 6 months is it ok to move her onto two meals she is having three but now not eating all her tea any ideas welcome x
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2012, 09:48 PM
She is still on puppy food
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello Kimberley I usually drop to two meals at 6 months or you can reduce the amount at each meal .
kimberleythomas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks think will gradually drop the dinner time meal x
Steeleye Span
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2013, 10:57 AM
All of mine seem to have gone off their lunchtime meal @ 6mths so it was a natural progression to move them onto 2 x meals
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Yep, six months here too.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Mine have 3 meals a day once they reach 6 months, 4 meals up til then.

Basically, because I worry about bloat in my breed, they have a breakfast, then something at lunchtime and again during the early evening. Obviously those meals are smaller than they would get if they were just having two meals a day, but I find it works out better for them and for me.

Mind you, I work from home so I can imagine it's not going to be possible for everyone and, when I worked, they had a huge breakfast, something when I got home and then another meal before bedtime.

As I say, having lost one dog to bloat and nearly losing his son to it too, I just err on the side of caution and make sure they always have something in their tummies so they don't get too windy.
Olga Hubicka
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I think it's a question of what is convenient for you. As long as the total daily quantity of food is right for your dog, it doesn't really matter whether it's divided into two or three meals.

Olga
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Both Little One and Pereg were gradually changed from puppy to adult kibble at around five months, and by six months were fully on adult kibble and down to two meals a day. Little one eventually decided she only wanted one meal a day, around 12 noon-1pm - which suited her fine.

I started changing Pereg to raw some time in 2011 - maybe around June I think, and she was fully on raw within a few months.

Because of her condition and medication she has two meals a day, the first having various vitamin and supplement additions to a "wet" meal, the second being a RMB one.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2013, 04:40 PM
i usually drop at around 6 months. if she isnt eating all her tea then shes letting you know shes ready to drop anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >