Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k1rst1e
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2011, 09:06 AM

New on here (scooters anyone?)

Hi, this is my first visit on here. I have a Working Cocker and a working Lab and I'm into my dog sports. Both do agility and canix, untill I got injured! I have just bought a Pawtrekker scooter and wandered if anyone had any hints or tips? My cocker seems to love it, but the lab seems more reserved and doesnt want to pull which i dont understand, she pulls like hell when running!
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
My advice would be to have someone cycle ahead of her to encourage her along to begin with. It's what got our wee lad pulling instead of trying to run with us.

If you can find fellow mushers to meet up with nearby, there's nothing like another dog or two mushing ahead of you to get them into the spirit of things. HTH
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi,I would get your dog used to the harness first and teach a 'line out' command(taute line)and start of with with her getting used to pulling something behind her that's not the scooter ....oh and a left,right and stop command...a solid stop!
Ideally these should be taught before u even attempt the scooter
k1rst1e
New Member!
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey thanks guys. We tried my hubby cycling ahead and she was great. I know they arent a mushing breed (especially the cocker!) but I'm desperate to find something we can do together other than running. We arent going to win anything, but hey its the taking part that counts! Thanks again
Kirstie
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Exactly, in it for the fun and enjoyment we and our dogs get out of it.

I know a guy who owns two black labs as well as two mals. He mushes them all and the labs love it just as much as the mals.

Our wee lad is small and I think the rest of our club got a surprise when they seen how he could go and how much he loved it. He'll never be able to go as fast or as long as the bigger dogs, but he has fun on his runs.