Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Louise to me having an Affix has nothing to do with breeding, it is a way of identifying a group of dogs as belonging to you, its 'your family name' .
I know a few people who have an Affix (or suffix) and have a number of dogs they show but have no intention of breeding.
I agree, I had my affix for 15 years before breeding, it was just so that people knew the dogs I was showing belonged to me
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi Louise to me having an Affix has nothing to do with breeding, it is a way of identifying a group of dogs as belonging to you, its 'your family name' .
I know a few people who have an Affix (or suffix) and have a number of dogs they show but have no intention of breeding.
That's really interesting. I have often thought of doing this myself but didn't realise there were others who have already done it. Of course I would only have a NIS affix and not a KC one, but the principle is the same.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I agree, I had my affix for 15 years before breeding, it was just so that people knew the dogs I was showing belonged to me
Scorpio I think that would actually qualify as 'furthering your breed' . If you have good examples of your breed ,show quite a lot and win, and your dogs and 'their name' become well known that is to the good of the breed . You can 'further the breed' without actually breeding .
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Ohhhhh wanted to add...

Malamutes are prone to long coats which is undesirable in the breed..(although totally gorgeous)

And there is a test to see if the dogs carry the long coat gene and therefore avoid having long coated pups..
SO that will help breed that out..
also had this done too.

mo
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I fully agree with your post as a name has nothing to do with breeding.

Scorpio I think that would actually qualify as 'furthering your breed' . If you have good examples of your breed ,show quite a lot and win, and your dogs and 'their name' become well known that is to the good of the breed . You can 'further the breed' without actually breeding .
I still don't understand how a pre or suffix is furthering a breed All I can see is that it does is promote your own dogs, which doesn't necessarily mean that you have dogs worth breeding from regardless of whether you show them or not. Plus all show dogs should be entire and not neutered. So if your dog has been neutered then it will not be good enough to really to show in any of the top classes, and if your dog is still entire and you have no intentions of breeding from it then I just don't see the benefit. It seems more like self promotion than anything else to me.

So Mini can you please clarify what you mean?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Plus all show dogs should be entire and not neutered. So if your dog has been neutered then it will not be good enough to really to show in any of the top classes, and if your dog is still entire and you have no intentions of breeding from it then I just don't see the benefit.
What about bitches? They can be speyed, shown and still win top honours (not all breeds have coats etc that are affected by speying).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I fully agree with your post as a name has nothing to do with breeding.

I still don't understand how a pre or suffix is furthering a breed All I can see is that it does is promote your own dogs, which doesn't necessarily mean that you have dogs worth breeding from regardless of whether you show them or not. Plus all show dogs should be entire and not neutered. So if your dog has been neutered then it will not be good enough to really to show in any of the top classes, and if your dog is still entire and you have no intentions of breeding from it then I just don't see the benefit. It seems more like self promotion than anything else to me.

So Mini can you please clarify what you mean?
Thats not true Colin at all. You have been able to show spayed bitches for years, likewise neutered dogs and now you dont need permission for either, just let the KC know its been done that all.

I had to have my bitch spayed due to a pyometra, she went on to win her stud book number and later a reserve cc, so they can still win at the highest level having been spayed.

There are certain breeds who benefit from being spayed too, like the Sheltie or Rough Collie, their coats improve, others too, but breeds like the Afghan Hound will never be able to be showed having been neutered as they grow their "puppy whiskers" back.

As I said, I have had an affix for 10yrs or so, I would of bred before now if circumstances were right, my affix hasnt promoted anything IMO, just people know the affix, therefore associate you with certain dogs, its pointless promoting a dog you havent bred by way of "your" affix, as the one at the front of the dogs name will be the one that bred it!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 03:03 PM
As I said, I have had an affix for 10yrs or so, I would of bred before now if circumstances were right, my affix hasnt promoted anything IMO, just people know the affix, therefore associate you with certain dogs, its pointless promoting a dog you havent bred by way of "your" affix, as the one at the front of the dogs name will be the one that bred it![/QUOTE]

People know the affix ergo when you do breed people will misleadingly think you are experienced as the affix has been touted around for 10 years...no...imo
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
As I said, I have had an affix for 10yrs or so, I would of bred before now if circumstances were right, my affix hasnt promoted anything IMO, just people know the affix, therefore associate you with certain dogs, its pointless promoting a dog you havent bred by way of "your" affix, as the one at the front of the dogs name will be the one that bred it!
Inkliveeva said:
People know the affix ergo when you do breed people will misleadingly think you are experienced as the affix has been touted around for 10 years...no...imo
Experienced in what? Showing? Been showing for 18yrs, 3 breeds. Breeding? Im experienced in whelping if thats what you mean? Ive whelped Labs, Dobes and Border Terriers, same as I have showed, cats too! is that what you mean? Do you think Scorpio was misleading people when she bred after 15yrs of having an affix?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Inkliveeva said:

Experienced in what? Showing? Been showing for 18yrs, 3 breeds. Breeding? Im experienced in whelping if thats what you mean? Ive whelped Labs, Dobes and Border Terriers, same as I have showed, cats too! is that what you mean? or were you trying to find fault? Do you think Scorpio was misleading people when she bred after 15yrs of having an affix?
why bring scorpio into it...imo having an affix touted around for such a long time is misleading, that is what i am meaning...what was so hard to understand about that
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »