register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
willowwisp
New Member!

06-02-2005, 01:47 AM
We have a white Boxer so yes we would be interested in joining. Polo comes from a brilliant background, champions both sides. He is also registered with the KC. He has been put to a few plain brindle bitches with no white pups in any of the litters, although one of his daughters threw 3 white puppies in her last litter - she is a tan/white. All the puppies could hear and see.

Let us know when the club is up and running.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by willowwisp
We have a white Boxer so yes we would be interested in joining. Polo comes from a brilliant background, champions both sides. He is also registered with the KC. He has been put to a few plain brindle bitches with no white pups in any of the litters, although one of his daughters threw 3 white puppies in her last litter - she is a tan/white. All the puppies could hear and see.
Surely no responsible owner of a quality coloured bitch would want a service from a white dog? Have you ensured that the bitches are free of heart problems (i.e. tested by a cardiologist, not just a vet check), have they been hip scored, have they had thyroid tests, have you examined their pedigrees to ensure that the lines are compatible, have any of their ancestors had heath, temperament or conformation problems, were the bitches tested for TSDs prior to the mating? Has your stud been likewise tested and his pedigree gone over with a fine-tooth comb?

Do the breeders of 'Polo' know that you have used him for stud when, presumably he was sold as a pet? What made you decide that he was suitable to breed from? Champions in the pedigree does not automatically mean that all of their decendants are excellent specimens of the breed. He can't have been judged breed-worthy by experts as he can never have been shown.

Do you know that it is against the Code of Ethics of all Boxer Breed Clubs, everywhere, to use whites for breeding? Or do you not care?
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 10:42 AM

I would never breed from a white or a flashy dog.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 11:08 AM
ok woah! why on earth are white boxer puppies pts at birth?? just INCASE they go blind or deaf???? thats ridiculous. Surely their chances of these illnesses are no greater than their litter mates. Im sorry but if breeders are gonna have a pup pts at birth then they have no right to breed in the first place. Fair enough if the pup had some sort of defect at birth, but a totally healthy pup being pts???

I for one would be happy to own such a dog wether it was deaf blind or whatever, their quality of life wouldnt necessarily be crap! u cant assume they will go to someone who will beat them to death or whatever!

Tell me something, do u think a deaf dalmation should be pts? ive seen lots written about who enjoy life to the fullest.

A breeder who has a perfectly healthy puppy pts at birth is not a responsible one imo. You have a responsibility as a breeder to ensure the wellbeing of ur pups. If u have a white puppy, keep it urself if that is what is necessary, instead of choosing the 'pick of the litter' or whatever.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 12:05 PM
I think whetehr or not a deaf white is PTS shortly after birth is entirely a matter of conscience for the breeder.
personally I would aim to produce as few defective puppies as possible so I would not breed from dogs which had the potential to produce defective puppies. I would not breed white boxers, from whites or flashy dogs.

However, since some breeders do produce puppies which are deaf whites, I think it is their perogative to either have them PTS or not, the earlier the decision is made the better because to rear a puppy to the age where its wee personality begins to develop and you start to bond with it would be far worse. I think having defective puppies PTS is no reflection on the breeders ethics, as it is never an easy decision to make. I have had to have puppies PTS due to cleft palate and megaesophagus, and i never bred from the bitch that produced them again, its not worth the risk, if you are going to breed puppies you need to make sure they are as healthy as possible. If a breeder continues to breed from a bitch which produces deaf whites, or any kind of serious deformity or condition, then IMO that is an act of irresponsibility, not the actual act of having pups PTS. hope that makes sense
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
The thing is theses puppies arent PTS because they are deaf ( something that cant be checked till they are older). But because they MIGHT be deaf.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 04:55 PM
yes i see your point roxy, but imagine the heartache of rearing a puppy to the age when it can be hearing tested and bonding with it and watching it grow only to find it is deaf? Ok so they can still enjoy a certain quality of life, but isnt it better not to breed them in the first place?
willowwisp
New Member!

06-02-2005, 08:17 PM
As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum ALL our dogs irrespective of whether they are used for breeding are health tested. Not that it is anyones concern but we bred Polo ourselves from two tan/white Boxers. The bitches grandmother was a White Boxer, also registered.

Incidently who amongst those who are so "down" on the white Boxer have "Working" dogs and also use them for what they were bred for - "working". as we do. Our dogs are bred from only the strongest and healthiest stock.

Just because you dont like the White Boxer, it does not mean that there wont be any. There is too much interest out there for white puppies. There will come a time when they wont be able to be kept in the background anymore and will emerge in their own true right.

You think it is ethically and morally wrong to breed white Boxers, who are you to sit and act as judge and jury. We feel it is ethically and morally wrong to destroy a life at birth just because the colour that puppy is born is not "fashionable" and because it "may" turn out to be deaf or have some other problem.

There is absolutely no way that as a breeder you can guarantee a puppy you breed will be 100 per cent healthy all its life. What you can do is be there for them. We breed for health, stamina and brains.

The only time we have ever had a puppy/young dog come back to us was when a child in the household was allergic to the dogs fluffy [GSD] long coat. Yes, we still have the dog. He had had one change in his life so it was in his interests not to pass him o n again. How many breeders do you know that wouldn't have sold that puppy on again.

I have read on forums of breeders selling on breeding bitches after they are ready to retire. Obviously these poor bitches have produced puppies gladly for their owners and then been passed on when no longer productive.

All I can say is, there might be those that dont agree with our ethics but we sure dont agree with breeders that "retire" and pass on breeding bitches to make way for younger breeding bitches!

Willow.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

06-02-2005, 08:50 PM
rehoming ex brood bitches to good homes i dont see that as being irresponsible, it shows the breeder cares enough about their dogs to want a nice "retirement home " for them.
uncaring breeders will just dump them or shoot them when their breeding life is over

I think producing dogs which can have health and hearing problems is quite irresponsible regardless of breed, and how much demand there is for them.

You are lucky your white pups didnt have any problems, but what about the next generation? every breeder who encourages the breeding of whites makes it look as though this is the "done thing" and the way you talk about your puppies selling like rock cakes, well, thats just going to encourage someone out there with a white to breed it to another white so they can have white puppies to fill the "demand" as you put it

3 words are drifting through my head :

pot kettle black

or maybe

glass houses stones

Carole
Supervisor

06-02-2005, 08:54 PM
just wondered what happens when white boxers are bred. Does this add the gene that causes deafness to coloured boxers?
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »